Updated November 19, 2020:

Articles of Amendment

Filing a change of address corporation is an important step that should not be overlooked if your business is moving to a new location. An LLC or corporation can submit a change of address to government agencies in their state by filing articles of amendment. Failing to take this step can result in failing to receive important notices and even in the suspension of your business agency. You also need to make sure that the proper agencies in your new jurisdiction are aware of your business address.

Your original articles of organization contained your business name, desired business structure, name and contact information for the registered agent, the names of members or shareholders, and the effective date of the business. These articles must be amended whenever pertinent information about your business changes, whether you are moving, providing new services, or undergoing a shift in leadership. Changes that must be reported with an amendment to the articles include:
•        Name changes
•        Updates to the contact information
•        New business address
•        Changes in directors or membership
•        Number of authorized shares
•        Change in business activities

Filing Form 8822B

If you created a corporation or business entity and obtained an employer identification number (EIN), you were required to submit contact information for a member or executive of your company designated as the responsible party. If this person or their address has changed, you need to file Form 8822B with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

This form must be filed within 60 days of any change of address or responsible party. This allows the IRS to promptly update their tax records so parties receive the correct information, notices, and forms. Your local and state taxation departments can inform you of how to change your business address within their systems. You may be able to do so online rather than by filing paper documents. 

Form 8822B allows you to designate both your mailing address and your official business address, as well as to update the name of your responsible party. In most cases, this should be the individual who controls the business funds, assets, and accounts. 

Make sure to include your complete address, including a room, apartment, or suite number where applicable. You are only allowed to use a PO Box if your post office does not make deliveries to your physical location. Foreign addresses are permitted.

When designating a new responsible party, list his or her full legal name along with either a Social Security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). You'll also need to include his or her address and the pertinent information for the former responsible party. This form can be sent to your local Department of the Treasury IRS service center.

Moving Your Business Within the State

When moving to a new business location in the same state, take the following steps to officially update your business address.

  • Notify the Secretary of State. In most cases, you'll have to amend your original organizing documents. This procedure varies by state, but typically carries a minor filing fee ($30 in New York, $20 in California, for example). Contact your state office to learn about their official requirements. Before filing the necessary forms, check your original organization documents to see if you also need to change the address of your registered agent.
  • Notify the Department of Revenue in your state. You'll need to do so in both your current municipality and your new location.
  • Notify your city and county so that licenses and permits can be updated as needed.
  • Notify your vendors, clients, suppliers, and lenders of your change of address. You'll also need to notify your bank and order new checks, as well as file a form with the post office to have your mail forwarded.

Moving Your Business to a New State

  • Notify the city and county where you're moving to and obtain the necessary business permits, along with a fictitious name (DBA) if necessary.
  • Register your business entity with your new state. Depending on the state and the type of business structure, you may be able to register a foreign LLC rather than creating a new entity. 
  • Register with the Department of Revenue in your new state.
  • Cancel licenses and permits in your former state.

If you need help with changing your business address, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.