To change business address NJ is an easy process. The required forms can be found on the New Jersey Department of the Treasury website. The form you use will depend on the type of entity that needs the business address changed. The forms available include the following:

  • Form C-104G, for corporations and limited partnerships.
  • Form L-122, for limited liability companies.
  • Form L-222, for limited liability partnerships.
  • Form REG-C-L, for sole proprietorships.

When filing for a corporation or limited partnership, multiple copies of Form C-104G will be needed. The new address must include a physical street address. A post office box is allowed but only as part of an address that has a street address as well. Changing a business address in New Jersey takes approximately eight to 10 business days to complete.

Changing an LLC Address

In New Jersey, the registered agent of the LLC must file Form L-122 with the New Jersey Department of Treasury's Division of Revenue. This form is available online and can be filed by mail or in-person. If you file in person, you must visit the New Jersey Department of Revenue in Trenton, New Jersey. Payment can be made by money order or check to the Treasurer/State of New Jersey, cash, or most major credit cards. The form must be filed in duplicate for any for-profit entity. Nonprofits must file in triplicate.

If you file by mail, send the completed form and filing fee to N.J. Division of Revenue, P.O. Box 308, Trenton, NJ 08646. The fee can be paid by check that is addressed to the Treasurer, State of New Jersey. The cost is listed on the form. The check should also have on the top left corner the business entity number. The business entity number of the LLC will be needed to complete this process. If you don't have or know this number, you can search the New Jersey State Business Gateway Service, an online portal.

If the timing works out, the registered agent of the LLC can complete a name change at the same time the annual report is filed. The fee includes the cost of the annual report and the address change. Due to state requirements, annual reports may only be filed online. It is recommended that a professional is consulted to be sure all relevant forms and paperwork are submitted to the New Jersey Department of Treasury Division of Revenue website.

After an Address Has Been Changed

Once the name change is complete, there are several notifications that should take place to be sure all relevant federal, state, and local agencies are aware of the change. Some of these notifications include:

  • The Internal Revenue Service, which requires Form 8822-Change of Address (Part II) be filed to show the new address and that you are requesting all documentation related to tax matters including business income, employment, and excise are sent to the new address. If the responsible party name has to be changed, use this form.
  • The state secretary of state must be notified of any move, even if it is within the same state. The articles of organization for an LLC or articles of incorporation for a corporation may also need to be amended.
  • The State Department of Revenue must be notified so all state-level tax documentation can be sent to the correct address. This includes sales tax information and state income taxes.
  • Any agency that supplies a business permit or license should be notified so renewal notifications and other important information are sent to the new address.
  • If the new business address is in another city or county, obtain a new business license with the city and/or county.

Moving a Business Out of State

If the address change is outside the state of New Jersey, the process is much more extensive. Just a few of the steps include legally registering the business entity with the new state or applying as a foreign entity, canceling any state licenses or permits, obtaining new licenses or permits in the new state, and notifying the IRS by filing form 8822. If you're completely leaving a state, some will allow you to let your business's license expire, while others require that you provide notification of your exit.

If you need help to change business address in NJ, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.