California LLC Change of Address: Everything You Need to Know
A California LLC change of address is fairly straightforward. 3 min read
2. LLC Restated Articles of Organization
3. Change a California Business Address
4. Changing LLC Address With Everyone Else
A California LLC change of address is fairly straightforward. Depending on the additional changes you need to make, you may need to file a new Statement of Information as well as an LLC Certificate of amendment form.
How to File Your California LLC Amendment
Amendments to your Articles of Organization in California will require you to file an LLC Certificate of Amendment Form. You can send this to the California Secretary of State. You can do this in person or by mail. This process takes 8 weeks or more. Processing times are updated on the Secretary of State's website on a regular basis. For an additional fee, you can get expedited service. Same-day processing is available if you submit the documents by 9:30 AM. A result should be received by 4:00 PM the same day.
Here is some additional information about filing:
- A $30 fee is part of your amendment filing. Expedited service is available only in person. A $15 fee is added to in-person filings. The expedited service charge is $350 if you need 24-hour turnaround and $750 if you need same-day turnaround. If paying by check, make your check out to the California Secretary of State. Pay the filing fee separately from in-person handling fees.
- It is possible to change your LLC's name, ownership, and other articles on the amendment form. If you need additional space, attach pages to your form. A Statement of Information form is also required if you are changing the managers or members in your LLC.
- If you need to change your registered agent, you will also do this on your new Statement of Information, which you can mail directly to the office of the CA SOS or submit in person. You can change your LLC's mailing address or physical address on the Statement of Information form.
- It is possible to amend a statement you've already filed if your changes happen in between filing periods. This is free, as long as you submit your LLC amendments outside of the period where reports are due.
You can receive stamped copies of your certificate of amendment by mail for free. The first two copies are free, and any additional copies are $8.
LLC Restated Articles of Organization
Restating your articles of organization is possible if you prepare a Restated Articles of Organization form. The cost for the submission is $30, made payable to the Secretary of State. You can file your changes in the mail or submit your application in person.
Change a California Business Address
Make sure you tell any applicable governmental agencies whenever you change your business' address. This will ensure that you receive all official mail relating to your business. If you don't reply to government notifications within a reasonable timeframe, it can lead to business suspension or other penalties. Suspended businesses may not do business in California. An address change is a common and simple process. Many new California businesses need to change their address after formation.
As businesses are still growing, it makes sense that they need to grow and hire new employees to take care of their larger customer base.
In order to change your address, find your articles of organization and all certificates that give you permission to operate your business in California or another state. File a revised Statement of Information, which is Form LLC-12. Include a $20 filing fee.
Changing LLC Address With Everyone Else
You will need to change your address not only with the state, but with federal and local tax authorities. The IRS accepts Form 8822-B for a change of address. Look on local and state tax websites to see how you change your address in any other states where you do business and pay taxes. Many of these entities allow online address changes.
To change the address for your state and local business licenses, contact the relevant agencies directly to find out how to change your address. Speak with your bank to change your address there and to order new checks for your business. Also, send a notice to any people with whom you regularly do business. This includes suppliers, lenders, and vendors.
If you need help with a California LLC change of address, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.