Massachusetts Corporate Annual Report: Everything to Know
A Massachusetts corporate annual report is an annual business requirement to maintain your corporate status.3 min read
2. Annual Report Filing Costs, Due Dates, and Filing Procedures
3. Things to Know About Renewal Terms of Business Entities
4. Instructions for Filing Your Massachusetts Corporate Annual Report
A Massachusetts corporate annual report is an annual business requirement to maintain your corporate status. Annual reports require specific business information to be updated on an annual basis, including the following:
- The names and addresses of all members
- The names and addresses of all officers
- The business mailing address
- The name and current address of the company's registered agent
Massachusetts Annual Report
In the state of Massachusetts, you have three options for filing your corporate annual report:
Your annual report will need to be accompanied by a filing fee, and if you choose to file via fax, you must include a fax voucher coversheet. If choosing to file online, you will need to proceed with the following steps:
- Navigate to the Corporations Division web portal and select "File Report Online."
- Log in to the system using your customer ID number and PIN. If you do not have a pin, one can be sent to you via email.
- Complete the online form and submit.
Annual Report Filing Costs, Due Dates, and Filing Procedures
Your annual report filing fee and due date will be determined by your status as either a for-profit or a non-profit company as well as whether you are a foreign or a domestic company. The costs for filing are as follows:
- If your corporation is for-profit, the fee will be $109, and you will be required to submit your forms either online or by mail within 2 and 1/2 months after the end of your fiscal year.
- If your corporation is a non-profit organization, the annual report fee will be $18.50, and it will need to be filed by mail or online every year by November 1.
- Foreign corporations will need to file online or by mail within 2 and 1/2 months following the end of their fiscal year. The cost to file is $109.
- A domestic corporation will have a filing fee of $520 and will need to file online or by mail on the anniversary date of their incorporation.
- Charity organization will have to pay between $35 and $2000 for their annual report filing within 4 and 1/2 months of the end of their fiscal year. The amount of the fee will be determined by their revenue.
- If you are filing an annual report for an LLC, you can expect to pay a fee of $520 that is due every year by the last day of February.
Things to Know About Renewal Terms of Business Entities
Depending on your company type, you will be subject to various renewal terms and fees. To keep your company in good standing with the state and reduce the risk of becoming delinquent, it is important to pay all of your fees and meet your renewal deadlines. Failure to continually miss your filing requirements can result in the dissolution of your LLC or a delinquency status.
No matter which way you file your annual report, the state will begin the filing process within 24 to 36 hours of receipt. Often your state will send a courtesy reminder within a few months of your filing due date, although this is not a requirement and may not always occur. To ensure timely filing, it is good practice to set reminders approximately 90 days before the filing deadline.
Instructions for Filing Your Massachusetts Corporate Annual Report
The primary difference between filing online or by mail is the slight difference in filing fee. If you choose to file your annual report by mail, you will need to download the From D Annual Report and mail it with a check for your fee made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
If you choose to file online, you will need to log on the State of Massachusetts Corporations Division website and navigate to the option for filing your annual report. You will need a customer ID and pin number to login to your account. If you do not have a pin or have forgotten it, you can request an updated one by email. If you have received a reminder, your pin number will be located on that paperwork. Once you have logged in, you will have to fill out the information, pay the filing fee, and submit.
If you need help with your Massachusetts corporate annual report, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.