Montana Annual Report

The Montana Annual Report is required of registered businesses and must be filed yearly by April 15. Once a business is registered in Montana, an initial report is not required.                         

Pros for Filing

  • By filing a timely Montana Annual Report, a business is deemed in compliance with the state, which results in the business being considered in good standing.
  • Partnerships in Montana are not required to file an annual report. Registration for partnerships must be renewed every five years.
  • There are no registration requirements for charities registered in Montana.
  • The registered agent for a Montana business will receive a reminder to file an annual report sometime in January or February.

Cons for Not Filing

  • Failure to file an annual report by April 15 will result in a late fee of $15.
  • It can also lead to the involuntary revocation or dissolution of the business by the Secretary of State if the report has not been filed by September 1. A notice is sent to the business to inform those in authority that the business will be revoked or dissolved.
  • A foreign entity that has not filed a report by November 1 will be revoked. A domestic entity has until December 1 to file. If the filing does not take place, the entity is dissolved.

Deadline for Filing

In Montana, the annual report for domestic and foreign non-profits, PCs, LLCs, and PLLCs needs to be filed by April 15. Foreign and domestic LPs, LLPs, and LLLPs are due every five years on the anniversary of the initial registration date.


Q: How much does it cost to file an annual report?

A: The filing fee for a Montana Annual Report is $15.

Q: How long does it take to process the report?

A: It can take 1-2 business days to process.

Q: Can the annual report be filed before April 15?

A: Yes. The report can be filed beginning January 1.

Q: Can the report be filed online, or does it have to be sent by regular or certified mail?

A: The annual report can be filed online at this website. It's also possible to download the form to print out and send via the United States Postal Service.

Q: What is the cost to file an annual report?

A: The cost for a Montana Annual Report is as follows:

  • $20 – Domestic and foreign corporations, non-profits, and PCs
  • $20 – Domestic and foreign LLCs and PLLCs
  • $20 – Domestic and foreign LPs and LLLPs, five-year renewal
  • $20 – Domestic and foreign LLPs, five-year renewal

Charities do not need to file an annual report.

Q: Do I have to file my Montana Annual Report online?

A: No. Access the Secretary of State website and click on “Business Forms” to print an annual report. The form will already have information printed on it from the official record. Review the information, then place the form — along with payment for the filing fee using a money order or check made out to the Secretary of State — in the mail.

Q: Where do I mail the annual report?

A: Mail the annual report form and filing fee to the Montana Secretary of State, P. O. Box 202801, Helena, MT 59620-2801.

Steps for Filing a Montana Annual Report

  1. Sign in or create an ePass account on the government website. An ePass account is necessary to file an online annual report in Montana.
  2. Access the government's Business Services homepage found here.
  3. Type in your business name or folder number into the search box.
  4. Select the appropriate LLC, click the tab titled “maintain entity,” and select "Annual Report" from the displayed options.
  5. Read the information to verify that it is correct. If necessary, update any information for the LLC.
  6. Continue through the form to the payment information section.
  7. Fill in the required information for the payment along with contact information.
  8. Submit the annual report.
  9. A confirmation will be sent via email from the Secretary of State once your annual report has been processed and the payment has been accepted.
  10. Not receiving a confirmation may indicate a problem with processing. In this case, a Secretary of State representative will contact you.

If you need help with Montana Annual Report filing, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.