Jacksonville Startup Attorneys & Lawyers
How it Works
Carl G. Hawkins
Jacksonville Startup Lawyers
Why Hire a Startup Lawyer?
When you're starting a new business, there are so many things to know and understand that it can seem overwhelming. By hiring a good startup lawyer in the Jacksonville area, you ensure that you don't miss out on any of the important legal obligations required of a new business.
A startup lawyer can also assist with several other aspects of your business.
- Raising capital: Money is required at the start of any new business. Good startup lawyers may have contacts with venture capitalists or angel investors, or they may be able to assist with getting a business loan. They will also know all of the legal implications of obtaining capital and be able to ensure you are getting the best deal possible.
- Taxes: You want someone who understands both Florida state and federal tax laws for businesses. This ensures you pay everything that is required of you while making sure you also receive tax breaks where applicable.
- Hiring and firing employees: Employment laws are constantly changing, and having a legal representative on your side is invaluable. You want someone who can help write employment contracts as well as ensure you do not have any legal repercussions if you need to fire someone.
- Determining the rights of all company founders: If the business consists of more than one founder, contracts and agreements need to be made at the very beginning, before anything else can happen. A startup lawyer can be a neutral party that assists multiple owners in looking after the assets they put into the company in order to minimize future disputes.
- Getting patents and trademarks: It can be extremely valuable to have a lawyer assisting you when you file for patents or if you want to trademark your products or services.
- Contracts with customers and suppliers: Contracts can be confusing and difficult to understand. By having a startup lawyer assist with all of your contracts, you ensure that your best interests are looked after.
How to Find the Best Startup Lawyer in Jacksonville
Find the best startup attorney for your business can be a challenge. You want someone who knows the local Jacksonville economy and the legalities behind starting a business in Jacksonville, in Florida, and in the U.S.
That means you should start by asking local business owners in Jacksonville for recommendations. Speak to entrepreneurs in your industry and ask what they think about their lawyer. Would they recommend them? You don't want to ask businesses that might be direct competitors of yours, as that could be a conflict of interest.
If you aren't able to get recommendations from other businesses in Jacksonville, you can find local attorneys through the Florida Bar Association. If they don't come recommended to you, be sure to do plenty of research on whether or not they work with startups or companies in your niche.
Once you have a list of a few lawyers that seem reputable, you should speak to them either on the phone or in person. Send them an email or call their office to set up an interview. This is a great way to find out if they are easily contactable. You don't want to hire a lawyer who takes several days to get back to you.
Meet with several lawyers and explain exactly what you want and have them clearly explain the costs that you will incur from their services. Make sure there aren't any hidden fees or fee increases that will occur later. Startup lawyers should be slightly more price sensitive than other attorneys because they know startups don't have as much money when they are just beginning.
Questions for Startup Lawyers
When you speak to each of the attorneys, be sure to have plenty of questions prepared for them. No question is too insignificant. This is your business, and a lawyer is a big expense, so you want to make sure you get it right.
- Do you understand my business and industry?
- Do you have other clients in my industry?
- Do you have experience working with startup companies that have the same needs that you have?
- Are there other startup lawyers in this firm?
- How many years have you been working with startups?
- How do your fees work?
- Will you be handling my case directly?
- How quickly can you respond to a legal crisis?
- Have you ever received any complaints against your firm?
- Can you introduce me to other business owners going through the same processes?
- How many cases are you currently working on?
- Can you give my case the necessary time and attention required?
Since a large proportion of new businesses fail within their first year, doing good research to hire the best startup attorney for your type of business in Jacksonville will greatly increase your chances of success.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Jacksonville Startup Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Jacksonville Startup Attorneys
On UpCounsel, you can find and connect with top-rated Jacksonville startup attorneys & lawyers that provide a range of startup law services for startups and entrepreneurs that are starting a business. Any of the top-rated Jacksonville startup lawyers you connect with will be available to help with a variety of your startup law related legal needs on-demand or on an ongoing basis in the city of Jacksonville, FL.
From primarily dealing with things like business formation, contracts, leases, equity financing, securities, and intellectual property protection, the Jacksonville startup lawyers on UpCounsel can help you with a variety of specialized and general startup law related legal matters. No matter what type of startup law needs you have, you can easily hire an experienced Jacksonville startup lawyer on UpCounsel to help you today.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Startup Attorneys that service Jacksonville, FL.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."