Orlando Patent Attorneys & Lawyers for Hire
Orlando Patent Lawyers for Hire
Why Hire a Patent Lawyer?
You've spent countless hours perfecting your prototype. Before showcasing it to the world, you need to protect it with a patent, but where do you even begin?
Applying for a patent is a long, complicated process that leaves even the most tech-savvy inventor with a migraine. Unless you do your research, you could be faced with additional fees, a rejected application, or even a lawsuit. Hiring one of the top patent attorneys in Orlando will improve your chances of success while freeing you up to focus on your invention.
Patent lawyers in Orlando can help during every step of the patenting process, including:
- Researching existing patents. The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) suggests performing an in-depth patent search to look for similar patents before submitting your own. The right patent lawyer will do this for you.
- Assessing the patent's commercial potential. There's not much point in patenting an invention that doesn't offer much commercial success, especially when you're a business owner looking to market your product. Your lawyer can more accurately determine whether your invention will sell.
- Preparing your application. There are multiple steps to filing a patent application. First, you may want to file a provisional application that serves as a placeholder until you submit the real one. The USPTO won't look at this application, but examiners can refer to it if someone else steals your idea before you submit your patent application. The real application is called the non-provisional application, and you have one year to submit it after filing a provisional.
- Representing you and your patent after filing. In the event that you're sued for patent infringement, your patent lawyer can represent you. When you've already hired a patent lawyer, he or she can quickly assemble a team to fight the accusation.
Even if you decide to do all the research yourself and write your own patent, you should still have a patent attorney look it over. The costs associated with having a lawyer review your patent application are less than hiring one to write it for you, but it still offers the same benefits.
How to Find the Best Patent Lawyer in Orlando, Florida
A city like Orlando offers your pick of attorneys. With so many to choose from, how can you be sure you're hiring the right one?
For starters, make a list of the best patent lawyers in town. You can do this by searching for lawyers on UpCounsel, the Orange County Bar Association, The Florida Bar, and the American Bar Association. Note which ones are located close to your home or office. Especially if you own a startup or small business, you don't want to spend enormous amounts of time driving to and from your lawyer's office.
Other things to consider when hiring a patent lawyer include:
- Complaints. Not every patent attorney in Orlando is in good standing with the bar. Note any complaints or disciplinary actions filed against the attorney before scheduling an appointment.
- Education. Find out where each potential attorney studied law and whether he or she received a special certification in patent law. When interviewing attorneys, ask if any were mentored by more experienced patent lawyers.
- Experience. Top patent lawyers in Orlando have proven experience in getting patent applications approved. Find a lawyer who devotes his or her practice to patent law and has the experience to back it up.
- Cost. There are numerous fees associated with hiring an attorney. When you're working with a strict budget, it's important to note these fees upfront. Some lawyers charge a flat fee while others charge by the hour, so you'll need to calculate which type of fee works best for you.
- Communication. Not every patent lawyer will provide regular updates on your application. You want an attorney who is available to take your calls or respond to emails, even if you have to wait a few hours for a response.
- Instinct. When you've done your research and compared lawyers, it's time to go with your gut. Ask yourself which attorney you feel most comfortable with. Does one make you feel more involved in the process than the others? Was one easier to get in touch with?
Questions for a Patent Lawyer
- What percentage of your firm is devoted to patent law?
- How many patent applications have you worked on that were rejected by the USPTO?
- Have you ever worked with a client like me?
- How long have you been practicing as a licensed patent attorney?
- If I'm sued for patent infringement, will you represent me in court?
- Are your fees negotiable?
- Will you be working on my case directly, or will you be supervising a paralegal?
- Did you work in a technical field before getting your law degree?
- Is your firm rated AV Preeminent with Martindale-Hubble?
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Orlando Patent Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Orlando Patent Attorneys
Our experienced Orlando patent attorneys & lawyers represent individuals and businesses throughout the world with domestic and foreign patent preparation and prosecution matters. They have extensive experience handling applications from nearly every sector of technology, including biotechnology, computer hardware and software, communication networks, internet systems and methods, automotive, medical equipment, construction technology, consumer electronics, and clean technology research and development.
Our patent attorneys are of the most highly trained in the industry, requiring a scientific background, and passing a second level of testing known as the Patent Bar Examination. Thousands of patents are submitted to the patent office every day and a patent committee reviews each patent for its validity. The process requires that correctly drafted documentation present a clear case for the novelty of the invention, which is best made by a patent attorney with a higher education background in your industry.
Our Orlando patent attorneys & lawyers can help you file a provisional patent, which lasts for 1-year and allows you to immediately begin using/manufacturing your invention with the confidence that your idea is protected. These types of patents are great if you think your idea will change a lot over the next year before you file a (non-provisional) patent. These patents are easier to obtain and are less expensive but you should have a patent lawyer review your provisional patent application to insure that you are meeting your objectives when you file your patent.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Patent Attorneys that service Orlando, FL.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."