Tampa Patent Lawyers for Hire
Why Hire a Patent Lawyer?
Although the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) does not require a patent attorney to file an application on your behalf, most inventors and startups prefer to hire an experienced patent lawyer.
Filing a patent is a long, stressful process that requires a lot of research. Even if you do your best, you could still end up submitting your application with an error or omission, which will stall the process and cost you more money in fees.
The best patent lawyers in Tampa understand the process down to the finest detail. The right patent lawyer will have technology expertise, a full understanding of the application process, research skills, and the dedication to represent you to the USPTO. He or she also will have provable success in getting patents for other clients.
Patent lawyers in Tampa, Florida, will help you with several concerns.
- Patentability: Your invention must be innovative, useful, new, and non-obvious. Your patent lawyer will search through extensive databases to make sure your invention has a good chance of being patented.
- Patent Filing: The top patent attorneys will create your patent application for you, document the necessary items and illustrations, and consider foreign patent laws if you're patenting your idea internationally. Your lawyer will also file the application by the deadline.
- Representation: Once USPTO examiners have gone over your application, they may have questions or want additional information. Your patent attorney will represent you every step of the way, drafting modifications and negotiating with examiners as needed.
Most patent lawyers have experience in working with all types of patents. There are as many as six types of patents issued by the USPTO, but the three main types are design, utility, and plant patents. If you're an inventor or startup owner, you will most likely be applying for a design or utility patent. Your lawyer will inform you which type of patent you need and how long it will last once approved.
The best patent lawyers will also provide advice in the form of one-on-one counsel. When you hire a patent attorney, you never have to deal with the endless research or application process alone.
How to Find the Best Patent Lawyer in Tampa
Cities like Tampa are home to countless types of attorneys who practice in the area. When you're looking to hire a Tampa patent lawyer, make sure you interview lawyers who are members of the Hillsborough County Bar Association, The Florida Bar, and/or the American Bar Association. Each of these associations offers lawyer referral services.
You can also find patent lawyers on other websites like UpCounsel. Here you can view lawyer profiles, compare education and experience, compare repeat hires, and request proposals.
Before selecting a patent lawyer, make sure the attorney is in good standing. You can do this by searching for any complaints against the attorney with the appropriate bar association. For instance, The Florida Bar will note any disciplinary history within the last 10 years on an attorney's public record. Simply navigate to floridabar.org, click on Find a Lawyer, and search for the lawyer's name.
Other important things to keep in mind when hiring a patent lawyer include:
- Location: You want a good lawyer who isn't too far from your home or office. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of time and money driving back and forth.
- Rate: Patent lawyers may charge by the hour or offer a flat rate. While you should invest in a good attorney, you will need one who can work with your budget.
- Availability: Make sure to ask how much access you'll have to your lawyer. Does he or she plan to charge for each email or phone call? How often does your lawyer expect to meet with you in person? You don't want a patent lawyer who already has a full schedule and can't devote the appropriate amount of time to your case.
- Experience: How many other patent cases has the attorney successfully represented? Patent law is a highly technical field, so it's important to hire someone who has received special training or has devoted years to the subject.
When hiring any lawyer, consider your options and interview multiple attorneys. Even if you think you've found the best attorney at the first interview, meet with others to make sure you're getting the right one.
Questions for a Patent Lawyer
- What is your technical background?
- How long have you been practicing as a patent attorney?
- Have you ever been disciplined or accused of misconduct?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to patent law?
- Have you worked with a client like me? If so, what was the outcome of the patent filing?
- Will you be filing all paperwork or will you hand some off to a paralegal?
- Can you provide a confidential client recommendation or referral letter?
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Tampa Patent Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Tampa Patent Attorneys
Our experienced Tampa patent attorneys & lawyers represent individuals and businesses throughout the world with domestic and foreign patent preparation and prosecution matters. They have extensive experience handling applications from nearly every sector of technology, including biotechnology, computer hardware and software, communication networks, internet systems and methods, automotive, medical equipment, construction technology, consumer electronics, and clean technology research and development.
Our patent attorneys are of the most highly trained in the industry, requiring a scientific background, and passing a second level of testing known as the Patent Bar Examination. Thousands of patents are submitted to the patent office every day and a patent committee reviews each patent for its validity. The process requires that correctly drafted documentation present a clear case for the novelty of the invention, which is best made by a patent attorney with a higher education background in your industry.
Our Tampa patent attorneys & lawyers can help you file a provisional patent, which lasts for 1-year and allows you to immediately begin using/manufacturing your invention with the confidence that your idea is protected. These types of patents are great if you think your idea will change a lot over the next year before you file a (non-provisional) patent. These patents are easier to obtain and are less expensive but you should have a patent lawyer review your provisional patent application to insure that you are meeting your objectives when you file your patent.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Patent Attorneys that service Tampa, FL.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."