Plattsburgh Immigration Lawyers
Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer?
Many Americans are confident they can tackle any immigration matters without legal representation. They argue that the process is sure to be straightforward since there is no official requirement to use an attorney's services.
But consider this: More than two-thirds of all applications and petitions filed without legal counsel are rejected, according to figures from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services. This occurs because immigration law is one of the most complicated facets of law in this country.
That means the odds are against a successful immigration application, whether you are:
- An undocumented immigrant wanting to stay legally in Plattsburgh.
- An American resident wanting to bring a foreign romantic partner or family member to live in Plattsburgh.
- A foreign national wanting to pursue work opportunities in Plattsburgh.
- A Plattsburgh business owner wanting to employ workers living overseas.
Many people feel all immigration lawyers do is complete immigration paperwork. They can certainly help you with this, but they also perform many other tasks, including:
- Identifying the correct forms and documents for your case.
- Reviewing the facts of your case and planning the right legal path.
- Helping you gather the right kinds of evidence to prove your case.
- Identifying potential challenges in your case and taking proactive steps to minimize their impact.
- Explaining anything that you find confusing during the process.
- Advising you of any changes to immigration law that occur during your case and how they will impact you.
- Advocating on your behalf to the Citizenship and Immigration Services arm of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Department of Labor, the U.S. Department of State, and U.S. consulates around the world as required.
- Helping you lodge an appeal and give you the best chance of overturning any unfavorable decision.
The assistance a top immigration attorney can provide with all these processes is invaluable.
How to Find the Best Immigration Lawyer in Plattsburgh
You should make sure any potential immigration lawyer is licensed to practice in New York State. Typically, licensed lawyers in Plattsburgh are members of the New York State Bar. They must become a member within three years of passing the New York Bar Exam, which they can take after graduating from an American Bar Association-approved law school.
Members of the New York State Bar must continue their education every year to maintain their license. This means your licensed immigration attorney will be familiar with the latest immigration policies that may affect your application.
Look for lawyers and law firms in Plattsburgh that specialize in immigration and nationality law. These attorneys will have the expert knowledge of immigration law you need throughout your case. You may also like to find a lawyer with a more narrow specialization matching your needs, such as family immigration or business immigration.
You should also confirm that your lawyer is of good standing in Plattsburgh. References and the recommendations of friends, family members, and reviews on the internet can be helpful.
Make sure you also check the Attorney Grievance Committee for the Third Judicial Department website. This page has a searchable database of New York attorneys and their disciplinary history. The Executive Office for Immigration Review also lists disciplined attorneys practicing immigration law.
While everyone wants a favorable outcome, you should be wary of lawyers that make big promises to you. Gaining residency is challenging, and the top immigration lawyers understand this. You want a lawyer who can be honest enough with you to identify challenges and suggest ways these can be overcome.
Don't overestimate the value of your gut instinct when making a decision. You can get a great sense of how attorneys conduct themselves and how they'd be to work with when you meet them. Listen to your sixth sense, and you're likely to make the right decision.
Questions for an Immigration Lawyer
- What sort of experience in immigration law do you have?
- What types of immigration cases do you usually take?
- What will you do to help me?
- What documents do you need me to gather for you?
- How do you think we should approach my case?
- How long do you think it will take to resolve my case?
- What do you think my chances of success are?
- What potential problems can you see with my case?
- How would you like to communicate with me?
- How often can I expect updates about my case?
- What is your fee structure? How much can I expect to pay in total?
- Will you be the only one handling my case?
- Do you speak my native language?
No matter how simple or complex your immigration case is, Plattsburgh's best immigration lawyers can make the process easier for you and give you the best chance of a positive outcome.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Plattsburgh Immigration Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Plattsburgh Immigration Attorneys
Our Plattsburgh immigration attorneys & lawyers can help you or your company secure a work visa for business-related matters, such as advising you on obtaining a short-term visa for business trip or a work visa that will allow an employee or executive work within the United States or abroad for an extended period of time.
Some of the types of visas that the Plattsburgh immigration attorneys on UpCounsel have helped clients obtain include: H-1B visas, which is for temporary employment in specialty occupations, O-1 visas, where an individual possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, L-1, which is for employees of an international company with offices in both the United States and abroad, E-2 visa, which is for investors, along with several other popular work visas.
Whether you or your company requires advice on obtaining a work visa for an executive, employee, or foreign national in regards to U.S. immigration or matters abroad such as: visitor visas, employee work visas, legal permanent residence (green cards), investor visas, and citizenship - our immigration attorneys can help you throughout the entire process.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Immigration Attorneys that service Plattsburgh, NY.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."