How much does a K-1 visa cost?
The K1 visa cost varies, but is usually about $800. An additional $1225 is required to apply for a green card. Other fees may apply such as medical exams, translation services, passport renewals and hiring an immigration lawyer. This article will help you calculate how much it will cost for your particular circumstances. 7 min read updated on February 01, 2023
How much does a K-1 visa cost?
The K-1 visa, otherwise known as a fiancé visa, is necessary for the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen to remain in the country for an extended period of time. The visa requires marriage within 90 days of entry.
The K1 visa cost in 2023 is $800, deriving from the I-129F form filing fee and the DS-160 filing fee.
You may also be wondering, “How much does it cost to file for a spouse to obtain a green card?” To become a permanent resident, there’s an adjustment of status fee that will cost you an additional $1225 ($1140 for Form I-485 and $85 for biometrics).
Those applying for the K-1 visa may incur additional fees from medical examinations or fees from hiring an immigration lawyer.
To obtain a K-1 visa, applicants must adhere to the basic requirements:
- The sponsor must be a United States citizen.
- Both parties must be able to marry. If one person was previously married, then they must be fully divorced).
- The marriage must meet federal and state marriage requirements.
- Both parties must have physically met within two years prior to applying.
Find out additional requirements by reading this guide on the K1 visa price.
Fiancé visa costs
The following chart provides a fiancé visa cost breakdown and a list of K1 visa requirements.
|K-1 visa petition (Form I-129F)
|K-1 visa (Form DS-160)
|$265 (Note: Each person that wishes to accompany the K-1 visa holder will need to pay an additional $265. For example, if the foreign fiancé(e) has two minor children, then they will pay 3 x $265).
|Mandatory medical examination
|This cost varies. K-1 visa holders can typically expect to pay $50-$200.
|Other costs such as fees for an immigration lawyer, translation services, and passport renewals may also apply on a case-to-case basis.
|Adjustment of Status
$1140 (Form I-485)
(Note: This is only applicable to those applying for a green card to become permanent residents. If children are involved, an additional fee will apply. Fees for children under 14 years of age are reduced to $750)
Costs for Form I-129F
Filling a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) form (commonly known as form I-129F) costs $535. Additional fees will apply if children are accompanying the Alien fiancé.
The payment must be made at the time of filing.
Form I-129F is filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If approved, a case will be created with the U.S. embassy or consulate.
Costs for Official K-1 Visa application (Form DS-160)
Once your K-1 petition has been approved, you’ll need to file for the K-1 visa application using form DS-160.
The K1 visa fees for filing a DS-160 form is $265.
Each person accompanying the foreign fiancé will be required to pay this fee. This fee will need to be paid towards the end of the visa application process and directly to the US embassy of your interview.
After you’ve completed the DS-160, you must take the following next steps:
- Print and keep the DS-160 barcode page.
- Schedule a visa interview appointment. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate won’t schedule an appointment for you.
- Pay the K1 visa fees. Review country-specific instructions on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.
Adjustment of Status (Form I-485): from K1 visa to green card
If you plan to live in the United States with your foreign spouse, then you may be wondering in regards to obtaining a green card and becoming a permanent resident, “How much does it cost to file for a spouse to apply for an adjustment of status?”.
To start this process, you must:
- File Form I-485, also known as an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. It’s important to start this process as soon as possible.
- Pay the K1 visa fee for Form I-485, which is $1140.
- Complete biometrics for your foreign fiancé(e), which costs an additional $85.
The total fee for all of this is $1225, and is to be paid to USCIS.
What you’ll need to include with this application can vary, though generally, you’ll need to include documents like:
- Two professionally-taken, passport-style photographs
- A government-issued ID that includes a photo of you
- A copy of your birth certificate
- Any necessary forms as required
Filing fees for an I-485 can also vary depending on age, status, and if you’re bringing a child with you. See the table below for total costs.
|Biometric services fee
|Under 14 years old, filing with Form I-485 of a parent
|Under 14 years old, not filing with Form I-485 of a parent
|14 to 78 years old
|79 years old and over
|Admitted into the U.S. as a refugee
How is a fiancé visa different from a marriage green card?
The most important difference between a fiancé visa and a marriage green card is location.
A K-1 visa requires that both parties are married 90 days after the visa is approved in the United States.
Meanwhile, the marriage green card requires that both parties are married outside of the country.
Both visas require proof and evidence of a bona fide, real relationship.
Other costs that you may incur
Here are some other K1 visa fees you may incur during the application process.
- Medical exam fees. Your foreign fiancé will be required to undergo a medical examination prior to receiving a visa. The examination must be administered by an approved USCIS doctor and clinic. This must be done before attending the interview. The costs for a medical examination vary depending on the country, and can range from $50 to $500.
- Travel to the United States. Travel to the United States is completely dependent on location and dates. There is no average price.
- Documents for foreign fiancé. Your foreign fiancé may be required to obtain their birth certificate, police certificates, and passport. Costs to retrieve these documents will vary based on country.
- Bringing a child. If your foreign fiancé wishes to bring a dependent child with them to the US, then you will also incur extra costs. You must pay $265 for each child as part of the DS-160 form, as well as $1225 if you are also applying for a green card for a child. If the child is under 14, then the $1225 cost is reduced to $750.
- Translation fees. If you’re providing any documents that are not in English, then you must have them translated. Fees are determined by the type of document and the service you choose to use. A one-page birth certificate may cost $20 to $40 to translate, for example.
- Photography fees. Some applicants may be required to submit a professional photo to verify their identity. Prices will vary based on the service and location.
- Shipping costs. When submitting an application, you may be required to mail some documents. Postage will vary based on location and distance.
How much does a K-1 visa cost with a lawyer?
The K1 visa price in terms of hiring a lawyer to assist with filing will vary based on the location and complexity of the application. Regardless, most attorney fees for a K-1 visa hover around the $750 to $2000 range.
Completing this visa process is timely and complex, so while there may be initial upfront costs to hire a lawyer, it may actually save you money and time in the long run. For example, if your visa is denied, a lawyer will be able to advise you on the next steps.
We recommend speaking with an immigration lawyer so you can get your application done right the first time. There are numerous benefits of hiring an immigration lawyer, including the following:
- Expertise and knowledge: Immigration lawyers are experts in the field and can provide you with guidance and advice about all aspects of your immigration case.
- Accurate and up-to-date information: Immigration law can be ever-changing. A lawyer can provide you with the most up to date information about which laws apply in your case, what documentation is required, and what forms need to be filled out accurately.
- Timely filing: Immigration lawyers are well versed in the deadlines for filing paperwork and can ensure that your application is filed accurately and on time.
UpCounsel provides you with lawyers who value transparency and honesty, and will be there to guide you throughout the process every step of the way. Post a new job on UpCounsel to get legal help on submitting your K1 visa application.
It’s also helpful to hire a marriage visa lawyer to assist parties in filing a K-3 visa.
How long does it take for approval of a fiancé visa?
The average time for a K-1 visa is six months, and the green card process takes an additional average of 13 months to complete.
This does not include pending approval of your interview date. These estimates also do not account for the length of obtaining any necessary documents or completing a medical examination.
Regardless, wait times for this step in the process can vary.
Check out our article on spouse visa processing times as well.
FAQs about K-1 Visa
How much does a 90 day fiancé visa cost?
The fiancé visa costs $800. There’s an additional cost of $1225 to apply for a green card.
How much do you have to make to qualify for a K-1 visa?
United States citizens must make a minimum of $22,887 in 2023 for a household of two, in order to qualify for the K-1 visa.
Is it better to get a fiancé visa or spouse visa?
The decision to apply for a fiancé visa or a spouse visa depends on your individual circumstances. With a fiancé visa, both parties must marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancé entering the United States. The spouse visa is reserved for parties that have married outside of the United States.
What is the success rate of a K-1 visa?
Due to the number of fraudulent cases, the USCIS approves 66% of applications.
How much does a K1 visa cost from the Philippines to the USA?
The K1 visa cost for the Philippines is $800. There’s an additional cost of $1225 to apply for a green card.
The fee structure is the same for all applicants, regardless of location. Additional fees such as medical examinations may vary.
How long does a K-1 visa take in 2023?
There’s an approximate wait time of 10 to 14 months to obtain a K-1 visa in 2023.
How do I pay my K-1 visa fee online?
You’ll want to know how to pay K1 visa fees when applying. You can pay fees by logging into your case on the CEAC website and click the ‘PAY NOW’ button.
Cost difference between K-1 fiancé visa and marriage-based visa
The K1 visa costs $800, whereas the estimated marriage visa costs $1200. Both totals do not account for possible additional fees.