Chicago Immigration Lawyers
Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer?
Whether you're obtaining a green card, requesting asylum, facing deportation, or dealing with any other immigration matter, you need the right immigration attorney to ensure you get all the professional assistance you need.
Immigration attorneys in Chicago, Illinois, can help you with the most common immigration concerns. They also provide these benefits:
- Representation. Depending on the immigration matter, only a licensed lawyer can represent you before the National Visa Center, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
- Expert Knowledge. An immigration lawyer in Chicago stays up to date on constantly changing laws. Immigration law is complicated, and you need someone who understands it to increase your chances of success.
- Professionally Filed Forms. While you can choose to research how to fill out certain immigration forms yourself, it takes a lot of time and effort. An experienced immigration lawyer can prepare your immigration documents correctly and quickly, freeing you from the extra stress.
- Mistake Prevention. Filling out your own legal forms can result in costly mistakes. In some cases, you may have to start the entire process all over again, which includes paying extra fees. An immigration lawyer in Chicago can prevent these mistakes, helping you save money.
- Fewer Delays. Immigration lawyers will help avoid lengthy delays. For example, each year, as many as 40 to 50 percent of all fiancé(e) visa petitions are not approved due to omissions or technical mistakes. An expert immigration lawyer will prevent these types of delays, helping you receive your visa or green card sooner.
There are many reasons to consult with an immigration lawyer in Chicago, including the following examples:
- You're having trouble obtaining citizenship, a USCIS green card, or other immigration benefit.
- You're not sure about your green card eligibility.
- You need to request "discretionary relief," such as a waiver or asylum.
- You need emergency help with immigration matters.
- You've been deported and wish to return to the United States
- You've been notified of deportation proceedings against you.
- You want to move to the United States to work, and your planned U.S. employer has not helped you with the immigration process.
How to Find the Best Immigration Lawyer in Chicago
To start your immigration attorney search in Chicago, look for a lawyer who is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association and/or The Chicago Bar Association. These memberships show that the lawyer in question is licensed to work in Chicago.
You can learn a lot about your immigration lawyer online, including whether he or she is listed as a member of the state bar, The Chicago Bar, or the American Immigration Lawyers' Association (AILA). While AILA membership is not required, only the top immigration attorneys are members. Search for lawyers on professional networks such as Martindale-Hubbell, and seek out reviews by previous and current clients.
Always be skeptical of unrealistic promises, as not even the best immigration lawyers can guarantee success. Your case's outcome is ultimately in the hands of the immigration judge, but your attorney can help boost your chances - even if he or she can't guarantee them.
Make sure you're hiring a real immigration lawyer, not a "notario," "visa consultant," or "petition preparer." Many nonlawyers claim to offer the help you need, but they can't understand the complexities of immigration law. These fraudulent nonlawyers often offer help to foreigners looking for immigration assistance, but in most cases, they fill out forms wrong and even take your money and run.
Similarly, you should avoid any lawyer who makes you an illegal offer or gives unethical advice. For example, an unethical attorney might ask you to lie on an application or directly to a USCIS officer. He or she may suggest buying a fake green card or even bribing immigration authorities. Getting involved with this type of lawyer can make you ineligible for future green cards or visas altogether.
Before getting legal help in Chicago, be sure that:
- You understand the fees associated with hiring your immigration lawyer.
- You compare legal advice by speaking to more than one immigration attorney.
- Your immigration lawyer offers frequent updates and regular communication to help you understand your case and where it stands.
- If a paralegal prepares any of your immigration documents, confirm that the lawyer will supervise the process.
- Avoid lawyers who approach you at the immigration office or USCIS, as this is considered unethical behavior.
Questions for an Immigration Lawyer
- Do you practice in other areas besides immigration?
- Are you a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)?
- How long have you been practicing immigration law?
- Have you worked on a case similar to mine?
- What are my chances of a positive outcome and how can I improve my chances of success?
- What is your rate, acceptable payment methods, and billing dates? Can you estimate the total cost?
- Do you communicate by email, text, phone, or mail?
- Will you do everything from filing forms to representing me in immigration court?
- Have you ever been professionally disciplined and, if so, why?
No matter your immigration concern, a Chicago immigration attorney can help.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Chicago Immigration Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Chicago Immigration Attorneys
Our Chicago immigration attorneys & lawyers can help you or your company secure a work visa for business-related matters, such as advising you on obtaining a short-term visa for business trip or a work visa that will allow an employee or executive work within the United States or abroad for an extended period of time.
Some of the types of visas that the Chicago immigration attorneys on UpCounsel have helped clients obtain include: H-1B visas, which is for temporary employment in specialty occupations, O-1 visas, where an individual possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, L-1, which is for employees of an international company with offices in both the United States and abroad, E-2 visa, which is for investors, along with several other popular work visas.
Whether you or your company requires advice on obtaining a work visa for an executive, employee, or foreign national in regards to U.S. immigration or matters abroad such as: visitor visas, employee work visas, legal permanent residence (green cards), investor visas, and citizenship - our immigration attorneys can help you throughout the entire process.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Immigration Attorneys that service Chicago, IL.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."