San Diego Contract Lawyers
Why Hire a Contract Lawyer?
You're busy running your business, which means you may not have time to look over all the fine print of a contract before you sign it. Misunderstandings are costly. Furthermore, you may not fully understand all the language in a new contract. To make sure you don't get swindled when you sign on the dotted line, you should hire a contract lawyer to look over any documents before you commit. A contract lawyer is able to help you with the following types of contracts:
- Partnership agreement. If your business is a limited partnership or a general partnership, you should make sure that the contract between you and your business partner(s) meets your standards.
- Indemnity agreement. This protects one party from damages that may result from an agreement.
- Non-disclosure agreement. This is between you and another business or between you and your employees. It keeps your confidential information out of the wrong hands.
- Property and equipment leases. You need clear information about the terms of a lease as well as any options you have for getting out of a lease early.
- Sales-related agreements. These may include bills of sale, purchase orders, and security agreements.
- Employment contracts. You need to have a general employment agreement, an independent contractor agreement, and a non-compete agreement.
Many of these forms are available online for free or for a small fee. However, these generic forms may not conform to California state law. They may need to be adapted for county and city laws, either by adding a clause or adjusting the language in the document. By hiring one of the top San Diego contract attorneys, you protect yourself and your business.
The best lawyers can not only help you decipher the language in a contract, but they also negotiate the terms of new agreements. Because they understand California state law and the basics of business agreements, they are able to present terms that are fair to everyone involved.
Keep in mind that there are two main types of contract attorneys, although some lawyers may fulfill both roles.
- Transactional attorneys. These lawyers write and review contracts.
- Litigation attorneys. These are the attorneys you turn to when a breach of contract occurs.
How to Find the Best Contract Lawyer in San Diego
There are over 15,000 attorneys in San Diego. You want the one that is right for your situation.
After you confirm that a San Diego contract lawyer is a member of the bar, there are other things you should consider.
- The lawyer's area of expertise. Some attorneys have a well-rounded understanding of most types of business contracts. However, if the contract in front of you deals specifically with issues in your industry, you may want to look for someone who has more specialized knowledge. Read a lawyer's biography to learn about what types of cases they've dealt with in the past.
- Reviews of the lawyer. Martindale.com has a reputation for providing trustworthy attorney reviews, but there are also local lawyer referral services that you can turn to. The San Diego Bar Association and the North County Bar Association are two good places to get attorney referrals.
Personal referrals from colleagues are another valuable source of information. Ask your fellow businesspeople which lawyers they have used in the past, and dig for details about their experience. Were they comfortable with the lawyer? Did the attorney demonstrate competence and communicate well?
Before you commit to a specific contract lawyer in San Diego, be sure that:
- You understand how the billing process works. There may be a flat fee for reviewing and writing certain types of contracts, or you might have to pay an hourly rate for contract negotiation.
- You know who will be working with you. The lawyer may pass off some tasks to a paralegal or to other lawyers in the firm. If that will happen with your contract, ask about the credentials of the person who will be helping you most directly.
- You're comfortable with the attorney. You don't want someone who talks over your head about complex contract terms.
Questions for Your Contract Lawyer
- How much experience do you have with contracts and contract litigation? What are your specific areas of expertise?
- How much will you charge me? Are there any fees in addition to your hourly rate?
- Do you need any more information to properly review my contract?
- Are you going to do a high-level review or an in-depth analysis of the contract?
- What are some common concerns associated with this type of contract?
- How long can I expect the contract review process to take?
Hiring a contract attorney is a vital step if you want to protect your San Diego business. Use the resources available to you to find a legal representative qualified to help you in your situation.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a San Diego Contract Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand San Diego Contract Attorneys
The San Diego contract attorneys & lawyers on UpCounsel are dedicated to helping businesses save time, money, and peace of mind with contract drafting and review, negotiations, litigation support, discovery, commercial business transactions, and more.
Our independent contract attorneys are available on-demand to provide contract legal services for businesses or to support your in-house general counsel to help lighten the load for transactional matters or litigation support.
Although the work of the San Diego contract attorneys found on UpCounsel often varies. They are highly experienced in legal contract activities such as commercial contract negotiations, document review in response to document subpoenas, request for production of documents, legal research, draft legal briefs, along with providing a full range of other contract legal services to businesses of any size.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Contract Attorneys that service San Diego, CA.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."