1. Required Documents for Changing an LLC Name
2. How to File an LLC Name Change (Certificate of Amendment) by Mail
3. How to File an LLC Name Change (Certificate of Amendment) Online
4. Notify the IRS of the LLC Name Change

If you're looking to change an LLC name, there are a few steps you'll need to go through. It's not too complicated, thankfully, only requiring some paperwork to be filed with whatever agency in your state handles business filings.


Remember searching to see if your original LLC name was available? You'll have to do that again when you change it. This can be done online, commonly on the Secretary of State's website. 


Next, you'll need to approve a resolution to change the business name. All owners, also known as members, have to formally approve any prospective name change. The resolution must be in writing and stored with the LLC's official records. 


After that, you'll need to amend your Articles of Organization to reflect the name change. Every state will have its own amendment form which can be found on the state's website.


Your operating agreement also needs to be amended to reflect the name change.


Make sure you notify any taxing and licensing agencies you make use of as they'll need to update their records too. They may require an official certificate from the state approving the name change. Taxing authorities must also be notified.


Change the name on all your business accounts. That means the name for the bank account must be changed, and you'll need new credit cards and checks. 


Eventually, you're going to have to change the name for every facet of your business. Register a new website, order new business cards, and change everything else that has the old name on it. 

Required Documents for Changing an LLC Name

The main document you'll need is the Certificate of Amendment which must be filed with the Secretary of State. There's usually a filing fee to accompany it as well. You'll need to file new forms for taxes, certificates of occupancy, and business licenses. Remember, you can always do business under a fictitious name if you don't want to change your LLC's legal name. 

How to File an LLC Name Change (Certificate of Amendment) by Mail

If you decide you want to file your name change by mail, you'll need to file two documents, the Certificate of Amendment and the Docketing Statement. It's up to you whether you want to print them out and complete them with a pen or fill them out on your computer then print. Just make sure you use regular copy paper. 

Most of the required sections are self-explanatory. If there's any information you don't know such as the county in which your LLC was originally registered, you can always call the registered agent or the Bureau of Corporations. In the name change amendment section, after you check the first box be sure to write “The name of the limited liability company shall henceforth be known as [New Name LLC].” 

How to File an LLC Name Change (Certificate of Amendment) Online

Filing online is a bit easier than mailing it in. The first thing you'll need to do is create an account. This can be done on the Bureau of Corporations' website. It's even easier if you already have an account, as you can skip the sign-up process. Go to the section that says “Start or Manage Business Filings” and then go to the LLC section. From here, you'll see an option for Certificate of Amendment. That will give you access to the form and filing process. 

After you've filed your information, you should hear back in about two business days and receive an email with a copy of the stamped and approved certificate of amendment. You'll also get a hard copy by mail.

Notify the IRS of the LLC Name Change

Depending on how your LLC is organized, you'll have to notify the IRS as well. If you run a sole proprietorship, you'll have to write or fax a letter to the IRS formally notifying them of the name change. For other methods of organization, you'll need to file the name change the next time you file your taxes. Make sure you're using the right form! S Corporations and Partnerships both need certificates, but they use different forms.

If you need help with changing an LLC name, you can post your legal needs on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.