Salt Lake City Startup Lawyers
Why Hire a Startup Lawyer?
Startup companies deal with many complex legal and business issues. When your startup investment and your company's potential are on the line, you need experienced legal advice.
Many startup companies run on limited budgets, but you shouldn't try to save in the legal department. Most startup companies take a fresh approach to existing technology or methods of operation. When you're testing the boundaries, you need to know how to conduct business, make products, or sell services legally.
Startups that don't hire a lawyer from the beginning run the risk of not having a clear path forward. They often have to handle legal problems on an as-needed basis instead of taking a smart and cost-effective approach to risk management.
As an entrepreneur, you have a vision and strong business skills. Hiring a top Salt Lake City startup attorney frees up your time to focus on what you do best. Let your lawyer take care of the legal issues, and put your time and resources into getting your business started.
Some startup lawyers serve as general counsel, while others specialize in key areas. The top startup attorneys handle the following tasks:
- Business Type and Incorporation: Many startups choose to incorporate, but others opt to form limited liability companies (LLCs) or other business types. The best startup attorneys can advise as to the business type that offers the best legal protection and profit potential for your company. If you form a C corporation, an attorney can help with filing paperwork and creating a corporate structure.
- Raising Capital: Securing funding is important for almost all startups. From seed money to Series A funding and beyond, a knowledgeable startup attorney can walk you through the process and help with letters of intent and other contracts.
- Trademarks: If your business name or your signature product is important to your startup's success, you may need a trademark. A startup attorney can help you decide if this is necessary and help you create a strong trademark. A top attorney can also file your trademark application and help you protect your intellectual property.
How to Find the Best Startup Attorney in Salt Lake City
Before you consider a startup attorney in Salt Lake City, make sure your candidate is licensed to practice in Utah. In general, Salt Lake City lawyers must have a J.D. from an American Bar Association-accredited law school. They also have to pass the Utah Bar Exam and complete a character and fitness assessment. After meeting these requirements, they become members of the Utah Bar.
Make sure any lawyer you're considering is still in good standing with the Utah Bar. Check with the Utah State Bar Office of Professional Conduct to find out if your lawyer has any ethical violations or grievances on file.
New Utah lawyers also have to complete the New Lawyer Training Program. This is a sort of mentorship and professional development program that pairs new lawyers with experienced firms. Look for a lawyer who has trained with a firm that specializes in startup or business law. If you're looking for a younger, more energetic lawyer in Salt Lake City, this type of experience can give you greater assurance of his or her ability in the startup arena.
A lawyer becomes part of your team. Make sure that he or she is the right fit your company by checking the following:
- Confirm Specialization: If you're hiring a lawyer to help with a specific issue, make sure he or she has the necessary expertise. If you need legal advice on a variety of issues, find out if other members of the firm can help.
- Conduct Interviews: Reading a lawyer's online biography can tell you a lot about his or her prior experience. But this won't tell you if your personalities mesh. Interview potential candidates over the phone or by email to find out if they're a good fit for your startup.
- Clarify Communication Preferences: If you expect frequent updates from your lawyer, make sure this matches with his or her communication style. Convey your company's needs clearly before hiring an attorney to avoid frustration later.
Questions for Startup Lawyers
- Have you worked with companies that have needs comparable to mine?
- What kinds of results have you generated for other startup clients?
- How familiar are you with my company's industry? Have you worked with other startups in my industry?
- What other legal experts are on your team? Can you refer us to intellectual property experts or other specialists if necessary?
- How do you typically bill startups? Can you estimate what we will owe in an average month or on an annual basis?
No matter which industry you're in, you need to make sure your startup is in good hands. Know when your company needs a lawyer, and find the best startup attorney in Salt Lake City.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Salt Lake City Startup Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Salt Lake City Startup Attorneys
On UpCounsel, you can find and connect with top-rated Salt Lake City startup attorneys & lawyers that provide a range of startup law services for startups and entrepreneurs that are starting a business. Any of the top-rated Salt Lake City startup lawyers you connect with will be available to help with a variety of your startup law related legal needs on-demand or on an ongoing basis in the city of Salt Lake City, UT.
From primarily dealing with things like business formation, contracts, leases, equity financing, securities, and intellectual property protection, the Salt Lake City startup lawyers on UpCounsel can help you with a variety of specialized and general startup law related legal matters. No matter what type of startup law needs you have, you can easily hire an experienced Salt Lake City startup lawyer on UpCounsel to help you today.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Startup Attorneys that service Salt Lake City, UT.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."