Cleveland Startup Lawyers
Why Should a Startup Hire a Lawyer?
Starting a new company is a huge challenge. Silicon Valley executives describe a startup as a lifestyle. They know that an owner will spend most waking hours working on the startup. A person in this position doesn't have time to waste on legal issues. Every form they fill out or legal problem they face is time better spent elsewhere.
Hiring one of the best attorneys in Cleveland, Ohio, saves a startup owner that headache. The lawyer will handle all the legal issues in a timely fashion, giving the new business a better chance at success.
When Does a Startup Need a Lawyer?
A new company legitimately needs legal advice from the moment it begins. A top attorney can teach a startup how to set up its business the right way. The lawyer will decide between these types of businesses:
- Sole Proprietorship
- Limited Liability Corporation
- C Corporation
- S Corporation
Anyone who doesn't understand the differences in these types of companies must hire a lawyer. Otherwise, they run the risk of setting up the business the wrong way. The legal ramifications of making that mistake could haunt the business for many years afterward. Before signing the paperwork for a business, make sure to ask a lawyer the best way to file your startup.
Why Does a Startup Need a Lawyer?
You want to make sure you're not breaking any laws, as it is sometimes tricky to understand all the rules and regulations about starting a new business. When you're getting your business off the ground, you also want to make sure you're paying the proper amount of taxes. An attorney can help you sort through these questions.
Additionally, you set the right standards in your beginning work with customers, employees, and suppliers. If you are working with several people to start a business together, you also need an attorney to help you decide the rights of the founders. If you take this step at the start of your business development, you'll avoid disagreements in the future.
Startups should consider getting a lawyer involved in:
- Setting up Business Structure: There are several different options for incorporation, or you might consider a sole proprietorship. An attorney can help you choose the right structure for your new company.
- Hiring New People: Employment law can be difficult, and you want to be sure that you are not accidentally breaking laws during the application and interview process. An attorney should review contracts for employment. You'll also need an employee handbook. Without one, workers can plead ignorance when they violate company rules.
- Raising Capital: A top startup lawyer can help you work through this process, making sure that your process to fund your company is in line with legal requirements and regulations. Lawyers with a lot of experience in fundraising also have a network of contacts you can mine. Hiring an attorney could lead directly to an investor funding your projects.
- Intellectual Property: Patent law is challenging, and you'll want to take steps very early on to keep control of your ideas, secrets, customer information, and unique products. This can even apply to your marketing and advertising. You also want to make sure that your company doesn't infringe on copyrights or trademarks of other businesses. This is one of the easiest mistakes for startups to make.
How Do I Find the Best Startup Attorney in Cleveland, Ohio?
The first thing you need to find out is whether a client has passed the bar. The attorney must pass the bar through the Supreme Court of Ohio. They are also subject to tests for character, fitness, and moral qualifications. The Office of Bar Admissions of the Supreme Court of Ohio judges attorneys in these areas.
You should also verify that a lawyer doesn't have any complaints against them through the Office of Disciplinary Counsel of the Supreme Court of Ohio. Top lawyers in Ohio follow the Code of Professional Responsibility. Anyone with complaints against them is a questionable choice. You want to hire someone who practices law full-time and is in good standing with the court system.
Which Questions Should I Ask a Startup Lawyer?
- Have you passed the bar exam?
- Do you have any registered complaints against you?
- How many startups have you worked with?
- How many of them are still clients?
- Can you offer any referrals?
- How does your payment structure work?
- Do you offer financing or payment plans for startups?
- What would you advise about a hiring program?
- Can you write an employee handbook for the startup?
- Do you have experience with patents and trademarks?
- Do you have time to take on a new client?
- How often will you communicate?
- Will you be the only contact? If not, who else from your company will offer legal advice?
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Cleveland Startup Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Cleveland Startup Attorneys
On UpCounsel, you can find and connect with top-rated Cleveland startup attorneys & lawyers that provide a range of startup law services for startups and entrepreneurs that are starting a business. Any of the top-rated Cleveland startup lawyers you connect with will be available to help with a variety of your startup law related legal needs on-demand or on an ongoing basis in the city of Cleveland, OH.
From primarily dealing with things like business formation, contracts, leases, equity financing, securities, and intellectual property protection, the Cleveland startup lawyers on UpCounsel can help you with a variety of specialized and general startup law related legal matters. No matter what type of startup law needs you have, you can easily hire an experienced Cleveland startup lawyer on UpCounsel to help you today.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Startup Attorneys that service Cleveland, OH.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."