Charlotte Startup Lawyers
Why Hire a Startup Lawyer?
The best startup lawyers in Charlotte specialize in startup-related topics, including seed financing, incorporation, and venture capital. While there is no such thing as "startup law" in law school, startup lawyers are business attorneys who have a broad range of business knowledge and experience with working with other startup companies.
Top startup attorneys can accomplish the following:
- Negotiate and complete business contracts. While you legally do not need a lawyer to draw up and complete your contracts, it's an extra level of protection that can help keep your business safe from omissions and mistakes.
- Help form your business entity. Whether you're seeking incorporation, looking to form a limited liability company (LLC), or any other type of business structure, your startup lawyer can get the job done correctly in less time.
- Help hire employees. Although you can manage many employment matters on your own, you should have a lawyer draw up all employment agreements. Your lawyer can also give advice on employment decisions, including firing employees and determining employee classifications.
- Provide legal representation. If someone sues your startup company, your lawyer will represent you in any lawsuits, complaints, or claims.
- Review documents. Your startup lawyer can review and troubleshoot documents, employee agreements, and vendor contracts. He or she will draw your attention to any issues with the document, helping you cover all your bases.
- Help secure venture capital. Venture capital is a type of business funding that startups need to get off the ground. Your lawyer can help connect you with venture capital firms to get the funding your business needs to get started.
- Obtain patents and trademarks. No matter the nature of your business, you will at least need to get trademark protection for your logo and business name. If you've developed any products, software, or services to be sold by your startup, your lawyer will fill out the appropriate paperwork to secure your patents.
Hiring a startup attorney for your Charlotte, North Carolina, business is a smart move. You can be sure all business documents are correctly filled out and filed and that you're represented from the start.
How to Find the Best Startup Lawyer in Charlotte
Many entrepreneurs struggle with finding the right business lawyer, but it's not as complicated as it may first appear.
Since you want to find the best lawyer for your startup, you should meet with several lawyers before making your final decision. Keep in mind that attorneys in Charlotte must be licensed to work in the state and be members of the North Carolina State Bar and/or the Mecklenburg County Bar.
- Get a personal referral. Asking trusted friends or colleagues which lawyers they've used for their small business is a good way to start your list of names. Ask how well your friend has known the lawyer, how long ago he or she used their services, and what type of work the attorney did for them.
- Find lawyers through the Bar. Both the Mecklenburg County Bar and the North Carolina Bar Association offer lawyer referral services.
- Browse UpCounsel. UpCounsel makes it easy for you to find Charlotte startup attorneys, view their profiles, and get a proposal online.
- Ask yourself whether you prefer a large or small firm. The larger the law firm, the bigger the overhead, which generally means you'll be charged a higher hourly rate. Even so, large firms have advantages over small ones, making them worth the extra cost. In most cases, a solo practitioner or small firm do not have the manpower to negotiate office or retail leases, advise you on employee matters, file your patent or trademark paperwork, or oversee corporate meetings.
- Interview several attorneys. Even if you hit it off with the first lawyer you interview, you should still meet with a few other attorneys to make sure you've made the right decision. See how well-connected each lawyer is in the industry and go with your instinct. The easier it is to be open and honest with your attorney on all business matters, the better.
Before getting legal help in Charlotte, find out if your prospective lawyer plans to provide frequent updates and regular communication. Understand how the lawyer will bill you for counsel (hourly or flat fees).
Questions for a Startup Lawyer
- Do you have experience handling all legal matters associated with startups?
- Do you have any special certification or other credentials in this practice area?
- Can I see a confidential reference from a former client?
- Will you be handling all my legal matters or will you assign some tasks to a paralegal or another lawyer?
- How do you plan to communicate with me? Will I be billed for phone calls or emails to you or your staff?
- If I email or call you, when can I expect a reply or return phone call?
- If you charge by the hour, how will I be billed for portions of an hour?
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Charlotte Startup Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Charlotte Startup Attorneys
On UpCounsel, you can find and connect with top-rated Charlotte startup attorneys & lawyers that provide a range of startup law services for startups and entrepreneurs that are starting a business. Any of the top-rated Charlotte startup lawyers you connect with will be available to help with a variety of your startup law related legal needs on-demand or on an ongoing basis in the city of Charlotte, NC.
From primarily dealing with things like business formation, contracts, leases, equity financing, securities, and intellectual property protection, the Charlotte startup lawyers on UpCounsel can help you with a variety of specialized and general startup law related legal matters. No matter what type of startup law needs you have, you can easily hire an experienced Charlotte startup lawyer on UpCounsel to help you today.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Startup Attorneys that service Charlotte, NC.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."