Selling Agreement Letter: Everything You Need to Know
A selling agreement letter is used to keep a record of a sale of personal property. It is considered a contractual agreement.3 min read
A selling agreement letter is used to keep a record of a sale of personal property. It is considered a contractual agreement.
A sale agreement letter typically falls into the category of documents that are written in order to accept or reject an order. These kinds of orders may be placed with the supplier and dealer. A sale agreement letter may include various elements, such as:
- Order and price quotes.
- Inventory count.
- Mode of payment.
- Date of delivery.
- Transportation details.
- Dispatch options.
Using a sale agreement letter, details regarding a particular transaction or sale are submitted. It's important that every detail mentioned within the sale agreement letter is correct, as the letter is used for recordkeeping regarding a particular transaction.
When buying and selling are involved, one business party sends a sale agreement letter to another party. Sale agreement letters can assist you in keeping an eye on what inventory and money are being exchanged. The letter may also assist in settling disputes, in case there is a disagreement about the details of a particular transaction.
Tips for Writing a Sale Agreement
Sale agreement letters are not just for business exchanges. You can also use a sale agreement letter for personal property, cars, and other forms of property.
A sale agreement should include all important details regarding the exchange. This includes aspects such as payment method and date, expected or actual delivery date, price and order quotes, and the date the order was submitted.
The sale agreement letter should take both parties' interests into consideration. The terms should leave no room for confusion or ambiguity, and the language should be clear and concise to both parties. Simple language (plain English) is best used for this kind of document.
Professional real estate firms typically use very detailed and thorough contracts that include all of the elements necessary for a legally binding real estate contract. However, these forms are usually only available to member agents. If you're in the process of selling or purchasing real estate, make sure to review any sale agreement letter with a licensed real estate broker or a legal professional who specialized in local real estate law. This will help ensure that the contract contains all the necessary component for a legal sale.
If you plan to sell a car, you'll need to have the appropriate contract on hand. Although you can draft your own auto sales contract, it's much easier to use a premade "Bill of Sale." You can usually pick up a Bill of Sale form from your local DMV, or go online to print the template. After both parties have completed and signed the Bill of Sale, make sure each party has a copy for their own records. The Bill of Sale will also make transferring the title of the vehicle much easier.
Example of a Sale Agreement: Personal Property
AGREEMENT TO SELL PERSONAL PROPERTY
Purchase and Sell Agreement made by and between _______________________ (Seller), and _______________________ (Buyer).
Whereas, for good consideration the parties mutually agree that:
1. Seller agrees to sell, and Buyer agrees to buy the following described personal property:
2. Buyer agrees to pay to Seller and Seller agrees to accept as total purchase price the sum of $__________, payable as follows:
$________deposit herewith paid
$________balance payable on delivery by cash
$________bank per certified check
3. Seller warrants they have good and legal title to said property, full authority to sell said property, and that said property shall be sold by warranty bill of sale free and clear of all liens, encumbrances, liabilities and adverse claims of every nature and description whatsoever.
4. Said property is sold in "AS IS" condition, Seller disclaiming any warranty of merchantability, fitness or working order or condition of the property except that it shall be sold in its present condition, reasonable wear and tear expected.
5. The parties agree to transfer title on________________ (date), _______ (year), at the address of the Seller.
6. This agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors, assigns and personal representatives.
Signed this ______ day of____________________(month), _______ (year).
Buyer Printed Name and Signature
Seller Printed Name and Signature
If you need help understanding or drafting a selling agreement letter, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.