San Jose Patent Lawyers
Why Hire a Patent Lawyer?
Filing a patent is a long, complex process that requires strict attention to detail and expert technical knowledge. While the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) does not require an attorney to file a patent application on your behalf, it's still a good idea to hire one.
Hiring one of the best patent lawyers in San Jose ensures that your application is submitted correctly. It also means you have representation if a patent examiner requests more information before approving your application.
Keep in mind, though, that not every attorney can file a patent. Top patent attorneys have years of experience filing patents. In some cases, they were once patent examiners themselves, or they received special training or certification. They may have even gone to school for science, engineering, programming, or other technical specialties before going to law school.
Attorneys able to file provisional patent applications must be registered with the USPTO, which requires passing an exam. When you hire a qualified patent lawyer in San Jose, you can rest assured he or she offers the experience you need to get the job done.
Services Offered by Patent Lawyers in San Jose
The best patent attorneys in San Jose are highly sought after. They provide customized services to inventors and startups looking to protect their intellectual property.
Just a few of the services provided by your patent attorney are:
- Counseling: The right patent lawyer will discuss the patent application process with you. He or she will offer the best advice from the start, including ways to maximize your potential for success.
- Patent filing: The patent filing process can be a headache. You must know what type of patent you need, compare existing patents and applications for any similarities, and submit all documentation by specific deadlines. A good patent attorney will do all this, plus help you patent overseas, if necessary.
- Infringement litigation: One of the biggest fears that inventors face is being sued for patent infringement. Don't wait until you're faced with a lawsuit to hire a patent attorney. While your lawyer can represent your case, it's better if he or she can help avoid patent infringement altogether.
How to Find the Best Patent Lawyer in San Jose
Now that you know you need an experienced patent lawyer, it's time to find one. Fortunately, the San Jose area has plenty of attorneys to choose from.
Begin your search on websites like UpCounsel to gather a list of patent lawyers. You can read about each lawyer's experience and education, as well as obtain contact information. It's also important to find each patent lawyer on association websites, such as The State Bar of California, the Santa Clara County Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
When you've got your list of potential lawyers, search for any complaints filed against each name. You can do this through each law association.
Before getting legal help in San Jose for your patent, make sure that:
- Your attorney will provide regular communication and updates so you know where your patent application stands.
- Your attorney will work directly on the documents or, if involving a paralegal or other lawyer, will supervise the process.
- You understand how the attorney or law firm charges for services. Charges can come in the forms of flat fees or hourly rates. Many lawyers also charge for each communication, whether it come in the form of a phone call, text message, or email.
- The lawyer has worked with similar clients and has successfully filed patents for them. Ask if you can see a confidential recommendation from a previous client. At the very least, read online reviews to see what the experience was like for others.
It's also important to consider your patent lawyer's location. If you've narrowed your list down to two or three great attorneys, go with the one closest to your home or office. You'll spend less time traveling to your legal appointments and more time focusing on your invention or business.
There's also a big difference in hiring a solo practitioner rather than an attorney from a big law firm. Solo attorneys or lawyers who operate from small offices don't have as much overhead. Large law firms bring the expertise you want, but they're also the most expensive.
Questions for a Patent Lawyer
- What percentage of your work is dedicated to patent applications?
- Have you ever worked as a patent examiner? Or do you have a technical background?
- Will I be interacting with you or someone else from your office?
- What is your preferred method of communication? Will you charge me every time I call or send an email?
- Have you worked on a patent application for a business similar to mine? If so, what was the outcome?
- How long have you practiced as a licensed patent attorney?
Why use UpCounsel to hire a San Jose Patent Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand San Jose Patent Attorneys
Our experienced San Jose patent attorneys & lawyers represent individuals and businesses throughout the world with domestic and foreign patent preparation and prosecution matters. They have extensive experience handling applications from nearly every sector of technology, including biotechnology, computer hardware and software, communication networks, internet systems and methods, automotive, medical equipment, construction technology, consumer electronics, and clean technology research and development.
Our patent attorneys are of the most highly trained in the industry, requiring a scientific background, and passing a second level of testing known as the Patent Bar Examination. Thousands of patents are submitted to the patent office every day and a patent committee reviews each patent for its validity. The process requires that correctly drafted documentation present a clear case for the novelty of the invention, which is best made by a patent attorney with a higher education background in your industry.
Our San Jose patent attorneys & lawyers can help you file a provisional patent, which lasts for 1-year and allows you to immediately begin using/manufacturing your invention with the confidence that your idea is protected. These types of patents are great if you think your idea will change a lot over the next year before you file a (non-provisional) patent. These patents are easier to obtain and are less expensive but you should have a patent lawyer review your provisional patent application to insure that you are meeting your objectives when you file your patent.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Patent Attorneys that service San Jose, CA.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."