New Orleans Patent Attorneys & Lawyers for Hire
New Orleans Patent Lawyers for Hire
Why Hire a Patent Attorney
Filing a patent can help protect your invention or idea from duplication. You don't want to come up with a brilliant solution to a common problem only to find that someone else has gotten the jump on producing the product that you conceived of first. You can protect your intellectual property long before you've begun production or marketing by filing the appropriate patent.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) allows anyone to file for a patent, provided they submit the appropriate paperwork and prove that their concept is unique. Obtaining a patent is an incredibly complex process. With over 280,000 patents filed every year, this is an area of extreme competition. Hiring a qualified patent attorney can help you navigate the complications of patent law.
New Orleans inventors have access to several valuable resources including the Troy H. Middleton Library at LSU in Baton Rouge and the Manufacturing Extension Partnership of Louisiana (MEPOL) in Lafayette. However, neither can substitute for the knowledgeable assistance of a patent attorney. You should hire a patent attorney to:
- Research Your Patent: The first step in filing a patent is conducting a thorough patent search to determine that your invention or concept isn't already patented. Many areas are highly competitive. A patent attorney can help you determine whether your idea is unique enough to pass review.
- Assist with Provisional Patents: Your provisional patent is a 12-month placeholder that will help you secure quick patenting while you prepare the more complex paperwork needed for the next step of the process.
- Complete Your Non-Provisional Patent: Your non-provisional patent application is the only one that results in a successful patent. This filing is extremely complex and requires a professional touch.
- Assist with International Patent Protection: If you file for protection under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PTC) within a year of your original filings, you can apply for protection in any country included under the treaty over the 30 months following.
A New Orleans patent attorney will give you access to the knowledge you need to complete a successful patent application and secure the appropriate patent for your invention.
How to Find the Best Patent Attorney
You'll find many different options for patent attorneys in New Orleans. Louisiana was ranked first in the country for its business climate. It has the fifth-best business infrastructure and third-highest economic growth potential. This is an outstanding area for inventors and entrepreneurs, but you must choose the right services to make sure your patent gets the protection it deserves.
When you're looking for a patent attorney, it's important to consider the following:
- Licensure and Qualifications: Patent law is considered an exclusive federal law. Though you don't need a lawyer licensed by the Louisiana State Bar, it's advisable to choose someone who is licensed in your state and not another. This will give them more detailed knowledge of the local climate and New Orleans business laws. All patent lawyers must pass the USPTO patent bar exam. If you're working with a professional who hasn't passed this exam, they're likely a patent agent and not a patent attorney.
- Educational Background: All patent attorneys must have a degree in another area outside of law. This is often a subject such as engineering or chemistry. This education qualifies your patent attorney as an expert in particular areas. Make sure your patent is a fit for your attorney. He or she should be able to converse knowledgeably about the patent's topic. Don't choose someone with a background in engineering for a beauty product. The right fit is key.
- Professional Experience: Some patents are more complex than others. If there's a lot of competition in your area, you'll want a patent attorney who's experienced with more complex patents. If you want other business services from your patent attorney, this is another important point to consider. Some professionals can also assist with other types of business law, so you can work with a single lawyer or law firm for all your needs.
Take the time to research all your options for patent attorneys in New Orleans. Working with a patent attorney is more expensive than filing a patent on your own, but it's worth the expense when you have the right fit. Choose one that will meet all your needs, whether you're an individual investor or small business.
Questions for a Patent Attorney
- What costs are associated with filing a patent using your services? What are your hourly fees?
- How do you communicate with your clients? Do you schedule frequent in-person meetings or communicate via phone and email for most purposes?
- What type of clients do you work with? Do you work with independent inventors?
- Do you handle patent searches personally?
- Will you provide a written patentability opinion for me?
A qualified New Orleans patent attorney will help you secure your patent and protect your intellectual property for the greatest benefit.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a New Orleans Patent Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand New Orleans Patent Attorneys
Our experienced New Orleans patent attorneys & lawyers represent individuals and businesses throughout the world with domestic and foreign patent preparation and prosecution matters. They have extensive experience handling applications from nearly every sector of technology, including biotechnology, computer hardware and software, communication networks, internet systems and methods, automotive, medical equipment, construction technology, consumer electronics, and clean technology research and development.
Our patent attorneys are of the most highly trained in the industry, requiring a scientific background, and passing a second level of testing known as the Patent Bar Examination. Thousands of patents are submitted to the patent office every day and a patent committee reviews each patent for its validity. The process requires that correctly drafted documentation present a clear case for the novelty of the invention, which is best made by a patent attorney with a higher education background in your industry.
Our New Orleans patent attorneys & lawyers can help you file a provisional patent, which lasts for 1-year and allows you to immediately begin using/manufacturing your invention with the confidence that your idea is protected. These types of patents are great if you think your idea will change a lot over the next year before you file a (non-provisional) patent. These patents are easier to obtain and are less expensive but you should have a patent lawyer review your provisional patent application to insure that you are meeting your objectives when you file your patent.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Patent Attorneys that service New Orleans, LA.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."