Indianapolis Patent Attorneys & Lawyers for Hire
How it Works
Antonio Miguel Ocasio
Margaret (Margie) O'connor
Indianapolis Patent Lawyers for Hire
Why Hire a Patent Attorney?
You can file a patent for your Indianapolis invention on your own. However, there are many distinct benefits of hiring an experienced attorney to help you with this task. Navigating the complex requirements of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) isn't for the inexperienced. Filing a nonprovisional patent is particularly difficult. Even a minor error will result in your entire patent being thrown out.
An Indianapolis patent attorney can help you with all the necessary steps in the patenting process.
- Completing a Patent Search: Over 288,000 patents were filed in 2015 alone. Many ideas and inventions that received a patent never hit the market. While you may have an idea you can't find on store shelves, this doesn't mean your concept is unpatented. It's crucial that you complete a detailed patent search before you attempt to file a new patent. A patent attorney can assist with this essential step.
- Selecting a Provisional or Nonprovisional Patent: Provisional patents are easier to file, but they offer less protection than nonprovisional patents. A provisional patent doesn't grant you a full patent for your invention, but instead, it serves as something of a placeholder until you file your nonprovisional patent. Your patent attorney will help you choose the right filing for your stage of the patenting process.
- Filing for International Patent Protection: International patenting is a complex process. But it's increasingly valuable in a world where you can sell your products around the globe with as little as a well-designed website. The best way to protect your patent internationally is to file for protection under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) within a year of filing your U.S. patent. This will then give you up to 30 months to file for protection in any country that's party to the treaty.
A qualified Indianapolis patent attorney will help you navigate the complexities of patent law, so your invention and business get the protection they need. Indianapolis ranks 21 in the country among the best places for business and careers. Make sure you have the professional edge you need in this city with smart patent filings.
How to Find the Best Patent Attorney
While all patent attorneys have a similar background in patent law, they have extremely diverse educational backgrounds in other areas. It's crucial that you know what to look for to make sure your patent attorney is equipped to handle your case's complexities.
When choosing a patent attorney, you must consider:
- Proper Legal Education: Patent attorneys must pass the Patent Bar Examination. A professional who hasn't passed this exam does not qualify as a patent attorney. Rather, he or she may advertise his or her services as a patent agent. Make sure you're working with a qualified patent attorney.
- Technical Background: Patent attorneys must have a degree in a technical area such as mechanical or electrical engineering, chemistry, or pharmacology. Choose a patent attorney whose education is in an area that's highly relevant to your invention.
- Relevant Experience: Conduct a preliminary patent search for products similar to your own. If you find you're in an area of extreme competition with many similar patents, you should choose a patent attorney with a history of handling complex and competitive patents. If you have only moderate competition, you may be satisfied with an attorney who's somewhat newer to patent law.
- Other Areas of Expertise: Are you interested solely in representation for your patent, or are you in need of other business services as well? Some patent attorneys are business lawyers who can also assist with internet law and copyright law. If you want someone who can serve your company in several areas, make sure your patent attorney or attorney's law firm is qualified for all your needs.
Indianapolis is a major metropolitan area with a population of more than 800,000 residents. In a city this size, you'll find many qualified patent attorneys who can assist you with your filing. If you're looking for more affordable services, you may also want to consider some of the smaller Indiana locales surrounding Indianapolis for your search. Patent law is an exclusive federal law. But you will want an attorney who is licensed with the Indiana State Bar. Indiana has specific patent statutes limiting certain patent infringement suits you will need to be aware of.
Questions for a Patent Attorney
- What are your hourly rates?
- Can I receive a free consultation?
- Who conducts your patent searches and what are their qualifications?
- Do you offer a written patentability opinion?
- Do you typically work with small businesses or independent inventors?
- How do you communicate with your clients? Do you prefer face-to-face meetings or conduct business primarily through phone, email, and online document exchanges?
Filing a patent in Indianapolis, Indiana, is a complex process. However, you can navigate these matters more easily with help from a licensed patent attorney.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Indianapolis Patent Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Indianapolis Patent Attorneys
Our experienced Indianapolis patent attorneys & lawyers represent individuals and businesses throughout the world with domestic and foreign patent preparation and prosecution matters. They have extensive experience handling applications from nearly every sector of technology, including biotechnology, computer hardware and software, communication networks, internet systems and methods, automotive, medical equipment, construction technology, consumer electronics, and clean technology research and development.
Our patent attorneys are of the most highly trained in the industry, requiring a scientific background, and passing a second level of testing known as the Patent Bar Examination. Thousands of patents are submitted to the patent office every day and a patent committee reviews each patent for its validity. The process requires that correctly drafted documentation present a clear case for the novelty of the invention, which is best made by a patent attorney with a higher education background in your industry.
Our Indianapolis patent attorneys & lawyers can help you file a provisional patent, which lasts for 1-year and allows you to immediately begin using/manufacturing your invention with the confidence that your idea is protected. These types of patents are great if you think your idea will change a lot over the next year before you file a (non-provisional) patent. These patents are easier to obtain and are less expensive but you should have a patent lawyer review your provisional patent application to insure that you are meeting your objectives when you file your patent.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Patent Attorneys that service Indianapolis, IN.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."