Getting a Nevada Business License

A Nevada business license can be obtained online through the Nevada Secretary of State. A business license is necessary to identify the business and hold it accountable, protect the public, and keep financial and tax records.

Types of Business Licenses

The Secretary of State administers the State Business License Program and issues four types of business licenses: Industrial Business License, Home Occupation Permit, In-Residence Child Care License, Out of City License.

Who Is Required to Get a Business License?

Anyone who offers a service, sells a service/product, or accepts cash for a project (church buildings, nonprofits, and so forth) must have a business license.


An exempt license does not require a payment; however, it should meet different State, County, and City requirements. To acquire an exempt license, a gross revenue over a 12-month period must not exceed 66 percent of the typical annual wage in the state of Nevada. To acquire an exempt license, the Nevada State Business License should state EXEMPT.

Nevada Tax Registration

Gross sales and use tax is a typical type of business taxation in the state of Nevada. Nonetheless, depending on the nature of your business, you must register your expenses. The Nevada Department of Taxation’s website allows you to register for gross sales or use tax, apply for required permits, handle your account, and revise your data. The site contains a Frequently Asked Questions page, providing responses to common inquiries.

Business Licenses

An enterprise that is based mostly in Nevada should apply for a business license. These licenses cost $100, along with an annual renewal payment of $100. Failure to acquire or renew a state enterprise license will result in a fine of $100. Companies that buy property for storage should register an additional Use Tax Account.

Certain companies do not need to apply for a Nevada business license. For instance, authorities, nonprofit, non-secular entities, charitable organizations, and fraternal organizations are exempt from the legal license guidelines.

The Nevada Division of Taxation has State Business License documents that will help you determine whether your business needs a license.

Local Permits

The local authorities in your city or county might need specific permits and licenses. Every municipality might have its own laws and regulations.

Listed below are the most common licenses and permits:

  • Alarm permit
  • Building permit
  • Business license and/or tax permit
  • Health permit
  • Occupational permit
  • Signage permit
  • Zoning permit

Incorporation Filing

Nevada-based companies, which might be corporations, nonprofits, limited liability companies, and partnerships, should register with the state. Various applications and payment data may be found on the website of the Nevada Secretary of State. A sole proprietorship does not have to register with the state; however, that enterprise type does not differentiate between a business and an individual, implying that business liabilities might become private liabilities, placing personal belongings at risk.

Doing Business As

If the dangers of a sole proprietorship are overwhelming, you can register it as a limited liability company. Doing so will allow you to create an enterprise that is legally separate from an individual entity. This will protect your private belongings in case a business-related lawsuit arises.

Withholding Income Taxes

The Internal Revenue Service advises that employers keep employment tax information for not less than four years after submitting the information for the fourth quarter of each year. The information kept on file needs to include the private information of workers with their contact information and Social Security numbers, the employer identification numbers, a copy of every worker’s tax withholding allowances and wages, annuity, and pension fee data for every worker.

The IRS website provides a checklist of items that you need to keep for your records.

If you need help with getting your Nevada business license, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel’s marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.