New York Immigration Lawyers
Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer?
More than three million or more foreign-born people live in New York City, based on current estimates. That is more than any other city in the world. In fact, close to 40 percent of the city's population is from other countries. The Big Apple's diverse population didn't happen by accident; many of the people living there used a top immigration attorney to help them settle in the U.S.
Whether you are a business that wants to hire foreign workers, or you're looking to make the U.S. your permanent home, you too may need to look for the best immigration attorneys in the city. These lawyers can help you:
- Discern which method of getting a green card is best for your situation.
- Understand the different visa types that are applicable to your situation.
- Explore your options if you have overstayed your visa and are in danger of being deported.
- Return to the U.S. if you have already been deported.
- File petitions to bring your spouse, close relatives, and extended family members to the U.S. to live with you.
- Come to the U.S. or stay in the U.S. even if you have committed a crime.
- Change your visa status.
- Renew your visa or get it extended.
- Apply for citizenship after you get your green card.
Immigration law is extremely complex, and the current political environment in the U.S. means that the laws may be on the verge of experiencing radical changes. Your best chances of getting and keeping the status you want lie with a top immigration attorney who knows your situation. A surprising 40 to 60 percent of fiancé visa petitions are not approved; an experienced immigration lawyer can improve your odds.
An attorney may even be able to save you money. If you make a mistake with your visa, you may have to start the process over again and resubmit filing fees. It is better to get things right the first time.
You may want to hire an immigration attorney for either transactional or litigation purposes. Transactional processes involve filling out and filing necessary paperwork, whereas litigation deals with sorting out tricky immigration issues and may involve court hearings.
How to Find the Best Immigration Lawyer in New York
The state of New York has over 170,000 lawyers; there are roughly 87 attorneys per 10,000 people. Thousands of those lawyers specialize in immigration. Instead of picking the first legal representative you come across, you have to do your research.
First, make sure that the attorney is a member of the New York State Bar Association. Members of the bar must pass a rigorous exam before they begin to practice law in the state. You should also:
- Read lawyer reviews. You can do an online search for the best immigration attorneys in New York. You may find information on sites like Martindale.com and Yelp. Martindale.com charges a fee, but the peer reviews are more trustworthy than what you might find on other websites.
- Seek professional referrals. If you live in the suburbs of New York City, you may be able to use the referral service of the New York State Bar Association. However, within the city itself, you can use different referral services, including the Brooklyn Bar Association or the New York City Bar Legal Referral Service.
- Seek personal referrals. In a city full of immigrants, it should be relatively easy to find someone else who has used the services of an immigration lawyer. Ask about the person's experience.
Before you commit to a New York City immigration attorney, you should:
- Understand who will be helping you. Will you be working mostly with the attorney you initially speak to, or will other lawyers or a paralegal have a large role in your case?
- Understand the billing structure. A lawyer may charge a flat fee for some services, but in more complex situations, a retainer or an hourly rate may be required.
- Understand how the lawyer communicates. You want to work with someone you can easily reach when you have questions.
Questions to Ask Your Immigration Lawyer
- How much experience do you have? Are you more comfortable dealing with certain types of visas?
- Based on your experience, do you think my case will be a success or a failure? What obstacles might we meet along the way?
- Do you mostly handle immigration transactions, or do you have court hearing experience?
- What kind of timeline are we looking at for what I want to do?
- Are there any fees I should expect to pay beyond your hourly rate?
The federal regulations that govern immigration into the U.S. are complex. A top lawyer in New York City can help you navigate this detailed section of the law, whether they do so by assisting with paperwork or by representing you in court.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a New York Immigration Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand New York Immigration Attorneys
Our New York immigration attorneys & lawyers can help you or your company secure a work visa for business-related matters, such as advising you on obtaining a short-term visa for business trip or a work visa that will allow an employee or executive work within the United States or abroad for an extended period of time.
Some of the types of visas that the New York immigration attorneys on UpCounsel have helped clients obtain include: H-1B visas, which is for temporary employment in specialty occupations, O-1 visas, where an individual possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, L-1, which is for employees of an international company with offices in both the United States and abroad, E-2 visa, which is for investors, along with several other popular work visas.
Whether you or your company requires advice on obtaining a work visa for an executive, employee, or foreign national in regards to U.S. immigration or matters abroad such as: visitor visas, employee work visas, legal permanent residence (green cards), investor visas, and citizenship - our immigration attorneys can help you throughout the entire process.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Immigration Attorneys that service New York, NY.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."