How to Get a Tax ID Number in GA: Everything You Need to Know
How to get a tax ID number in GA is fairly straightforward. The Georgia tax ID number is an identification number assigned to your business. 3 min read
2. Who Uses a Federal Tax ID Number and How to Get One
3. What Is the Georgia Tax Identification Number?
4. How to Obtain a Tax ID in GA
Updated October 13, 2020:
How To Get a Tax ID in GA
How to get a tax ID number in GA is fairly straightforward. The Georgia tax ID number is an identification number assigned to your business. It is much like a social security number, and with it, you can apply for a line of credit under your business name, open bank accounts, and other things, such as paying taxes. It is also mandatory to have a tax ID number if you have hired employees.
Who Uses a Federal Tax ID Number and How to Get One
The following entities use a federal tax ID:
- Non-profit organizations
- Individuals or sole proprietors
- Limited liability companies (LLCs)
- S-corporations and corporations
In Georgia, the federal tax ID goes by different names, which include the following:
- Federal Taxpayer Identification Number (FTIN)
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
- Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN)
- Federal Tax Number (FTN)
- Federal ID Number (FIN)
The process of obtaining a tax ID in Georgia is simple to do online. When it is time for you to file for a federal tax ID, you can do so by visiting the IRS website. At the start of the application, you will be asked some questions to verify that you need the tax number. Once you have completed the online form, you will receive a tax ID immediately. From then, all taxes should get filed under that number when the time comes.
What Is the Georgia Tax Identification Number?
Businesses in Georgia that sell services or products, which involves the collection of state sales tax, need to get registered with the Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Center. You can do it online. After completing the online application, your business will receive a sales and use tax ID number.
Your sales tax ID number is also called an employer identification number or state taxpayer identification number. It is a number specifically assigned to your business by the Georgia government for licensing or tax purposes, according to the Georgia Department of Revenue.
How to Obtain a Tax ID in GA
- You will first want to ensure that you have all the information needed for registration. New registration for a Georgia Sales and Use Tax Certificate requires that your business type, federal tax ID number, business name, contact details, including an email address, and owner information are entered into the online system.
- Know the start date for when your business should begin receiving sales tax, which is typically going to be the day you open.
- You will need to enter your North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code number. The federal code is used as an industry identification for your business. You can get the code from a list by visiting the U.S. Census Bureau website.
- Now, navigate to the Georgia Tax Center site at www.gtc.dor.ga.gov. Click the link for "Register Your New Georgia Business." Simply follow the screen prompts to register an account for your business. When this information is shown on the screen, select "Sales and Use Tax" and provide the percentage of your revenue that corresponds to the provided categories.
- When you have completed the registration, you will receive a confirmation number. Please note that all applications are processed as they are received. It could take several days or up to several weeks to obtain approval.
- Once approved, the Georgia Department of Revenue will send you an email informing you that the registration of your business is complete. In the email, you will also receive your Georgia sales tax ID number, along with instructions on how to go about getting an online user account directly with the Georgia Tax Center. That registration will require that you use your new tax identification number.
If you misplace your Georgia employer identification number, you can contact the following government sites:
- Georgia Office of the Secretary of State
- Georgia Department of Revenue
- Georgia Business Registry
The government keeps an accurate database of businesses that are registered and pay state taxes, which the system sorts by their Georgia employer identification number.
If you need help with how to get a Tax ID in GA, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.