Who Should File a Wisconsin Income Tax?

Your business needs to file Wisconsin corporation franchise tax if it is:

  • Incorporated in Wisconsin.
  • Licensed to operate in Wisconsin, except where exempted.
  • Doing business without a license in Wisconsin.
  • A foreign corporation which co-owns a partnership operating in Wisconsin.
  • A publicly traded partnership with the status of a corporation.
  • Wisconsin LLC with corporation's status for the purposes of federal income taxes.
  • A corporation with revenue made through the buying or selling of lottery prizes if the winning tickets were initially purchased in Wisconsin.
  • A corporation registered with the Department of Financial Institutions.

What Agency Administers Tax Collection in Wisconsin?

Except for property taxes, the Wisconsin Department of Revenue handles most state taxes.

What Is Wisconsin's Largest Tax?

The largest tax in Wisconsin is the individual income tax and makes up over 50 percent of the revenue generated in the state.

What Agency Administers Tax Collection in Wisconsin?

The Wisconsin Department of Revenue is responsible for collecting individual income tax. Taxable income of full-year residents, part-year residents and nonresidents are collected in Wisconsin.

What Is the Income Tax Rate in Wisconsin?

Depending on the level of an individual's income and marital status, Wisconsin tax rates can range from 4.60 percent to 7.75 percent.

How Is Income Tax Levied on Wisconsin Residents?

Residents of Wisconsin pay income tax on the following:

  • Full-year residents pay taxes on all their sources of income.
  • Part-year residents pay tax on all sources of income based in Wisconsin.
  • Nonresidents pay taxes on income sources based in Wisconsin.

What Are the Types of Taxable Income in WI?

Wisconsin taxes the following income sources based in the state:

  • Salaries, wages, commissions, and other compensation for work.
  • Rents and royalties earned from tangible property based in Wisconsin.
  • Profits or losses from the sale of tangible property located in Wisconsin.
  • Gains or losses from professions, business activities, or agricultural activities carried out in Wisconsin.
  • Purses, Pari-mutuel wager winnings, and Wisconsin state lottery winnings.
  • Winnings from a Wisconsin-based casino or bingo hall managed by a tribe or band of North Americans.
  • Income derived from a covenant based on an activity performed in Wisconsin.

What Is the Basis of Tax Filing Requirements?

The tax filing requirements depend on the person's filing status, age, and the gross income of your Wisconsin LLC.

What Filing Status Should I Use?

Choose the appropriate filing status from the four acceptable status in Wisconsin. You can choose the more favorable filing status if you qualify for more than one.

Who Should File a Wisconsin Income Tax?

Individuals with incomes that meet the following criteria need to file a Wisconsin tax return:

  • Single (under 65) $10,140 or higher.
  • Single (65 or older) $10,390 or higher.
  • Married filing separate return (under 65) $9,000 or higher.
  • Married filing separate return (65 or older) $9,030 or higher.
  • Married filing joint return (both under 65) $18,410 or higher.
  • Married filing joint return (one spouse 65 or older) $18,660 or higher.
  • Married filing joint return (both 65 or older) $18,910 or higher.
  • Head of household (under 65) $12,890 or higher.
  • Head of household (65 or older) $13,140 or higher.

Gross Income

Gross income means all Wisconsin taxable income before deducting expenses.

What Are the Forms of Gross Income?

Gross income may be in the form of cash, property, or services. Items exempted from Wisconsin tax are not considered gross income

Who Should File a Wisconsin Income Tax?

You may be required to file a Wisconsin tax return even if you don't meet the income thresholds. If any of the following applies to you, then you have to file a state tax return for Wisconsin.

  • You earned income credit through your employer by claiming a Wisconsin advance.
  • You owe a penalty on a retirement plan, Individual Retirement Account, Archer MSA, or Coverdell ESA.
  • Your gross income was $2,000 or higher as a Wisconsin part-year resident or nonresident for 2009.

Why Should I File a Tax Return?

You have to file a tax return to qualify for a tax refund.

Who is Eligible for a Tax Refund?

You qualify for a tax refund if:

  • Wisconsin income tax was withheld from your salary
  • You paid estimated taxes for 2009
  • By claiming the Earned Income Credit

If you need help with Wisconsin Franchise Tax, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.