Detroit Startup Attorneys & Lawyers
How it Works
Lauren Roberts, Esq.
Diana Palchik, Esq.
Michael S Melfi
Detroit Startup Lawyers
Why Hire a Startup Lawyer?
When starting a new company, most founders have only a shoestring budget to work with. The idea is there, but there's no steady stream of cash to help your business grow. Because of this, you may think you can get by without hiring a startup lawyer, but you'd be mistaken.
Now is not the time to take shortcuts! Yes, lawyers can be expensive, but you're more likely to achieve success when consulting an attorney every step of the way. Startup attorneys in Detroit, Michigan, can address a number of common concerns that get your company off on the right foot.
- Founders collaboration agreements. If you're starting your company with a colleague as co-founders, your lawyer will need to draw up a founder collaboration agreement. This document sets the framework for complex business relationships and lays out expectations of both parties.
- Incorporation. In addition to agreements, your attorney will help you navigate other legal documents, including incorporation forms. The best startup lawyer can also suggest which type of incorporation is best for your small business.
- Task completion. Small business lawyers complete specific tasks such as reviewing lease documents, trademarking your startup name or logo, preparing forms, and discussing legal structures, which frees you from learning about the legal process so you can focus on other aspects of the business.
- Employment agreements. You need a dedicated staff to make your dream a success. Top startup lawyers draw up employment and contract agreements and advise you during the hiring process.
- Payment setup. It's essential to set up payments for your employees, which can be difficult when you don't have any revenue yet. Your lawyer can help guide you through the process of securing venture capital - or seed money - so you can prevent lawsuits or claims against you early in the process.
Before hiring any lawyer, make sure he or she is a member of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association and/or the State Bar of Michigan.
How to Find the Best Startup Lawyer in Detroit
Although there is no such thing as "startup law" specialization in law school, many business and small business attorneys have gained enough experience with startups to assist you with your company's needs. When meeting with an attorney, ask how much experience he or she has in working with startups and whether or not an existing client might be considered one of your competitors.
If you're not sure where to start in your search for a startup lawyer, browse the directories available on the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan, or the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association websites. You can also discover top startup lawyers on UpCounsel.
While it's OK to discover new lawyers through advertisements, don't make this your only source of information. Radio, internet, newspaper, direct mail, billboard, or bus ads can be misleading. You're better off going with a bar association referral service to help you narrow down the specific areas of law you need to have covered.
In addition, you should do the following:
- Interview multiple lawyers. Even if you hit it off with the first lawyer you interview, meet with a few more just to make sure you've found the perfect fit.
- Go with your gut. You might find the most qualified startup lawyer in Detroit, but if you have problems communicating or simply have reservations, listen to your instincts. You'll be working with this lawyer for a long time, and you want someone you can trust and freely talk to.
- Confirm your lawyer's involvement. Some startup lawyers will assign work to a paralegal or other lawyer. Find out how involved your lawyer will be when this occurs.
- Understand how you will be charged. Every attorney and law firm charges differently than the next, and how you'll be charged can be a deciding factor in which lawyer you hire. Your attorney may charge a flat fee or hourly rate. He or she may also charge for each phone call or email. Understanding these charges up front can help you avoid costly surprises.
- Consider the distance. Traveling to your lawyer's office can rack up the miles on your vehicle, plus waste time you could be spending at your startup. When two or more attorneys are equally qualified and seem to work well with you, choose the one closest to your home or business.
Questions for a Startup Lawyer
- How long have you practiced law? Would you consider startups your specialty?
- What types of cases do you typically handle? What percentage of your practice is devoted to startups or small businesses?
- How many startup clients have you represented? Would any of your current clients be considered competitors?
- Do you have any special training or certifications that might apply to startup law?
- How do you plan to communicate with me?
- When I email or call, how long before I can expect a reply or return call?
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Detroit Startup Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Detroit Startup Attorneys
On UpCounsel, you can find and connect with top-rated Detroit startup attorneys & lawyers that provide a range of startup law services for startups and entrepreneurs that are starting a business. Any of the top-rated Detroit startup lawyers you connect with will be available to help with a variety of your startup law related legal needs on-demand or on an ongoing basis in the city of Detroit, MI.
From primarily dealing with things like business formation, contracts, leases, equity financing, securities, and intellectual property protection, the Detroit startup lawyers on UpCounsel can help you with a variety of specialized and general startup law related legal matters. No matter what type of startup law needs you have, you can easily hire an experienced Detroit startup lawyer on UpCounsel to help you today.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Startup Attorneys that service Detroit, MI.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."