Denver Patent Lawyers
Why Hire a Patent Lawyer?
Finding a patent lawyer in Denver is one of the best things you can do for your inventions and intellectual property. There are several reasons why you should hire a lawyer to help you with the patent process rather than trying to figure it out yourself.
- Patent Law is Complex: In order to file a patent properly, you need to understand the different patent laws that apply to your invention. As you write the application and proceed to defend it in front of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), you want to make sure you have a thorough understanding of what is required. Patent lawyers have not only had to pass the Colorado Bar Exam, but the Patent Bar Exam as well.
- They understand International Patent Law: A Patent lawyer will be able to advise you not only on the filing of patents with the USPTO, but also how to protect your intellectual property internationally.
- Assistance Defending the Patent: If someone infringes on your intellectual property, you'll want an experienced Denver patent lawyer that can successfully prosecute the infringing party while ensuring you receive compensation.
- Advice on Viability of Patent: Before you spend time and money trying to patent your invention, you should have an attorney assist you with understanding the chances of actually getting a patent. They will be able to tell you if your invention qualifies.
- Meeting State and Federal Rules: A top Denver patent attorney will be able to help you meet file a patent successfully in Colorado and meet all USPTO federal requirements. These stipulations are updated regularly and you want someone on your side who understands them and keeps up to date with any changes.
- They Will Save you Time: Patent lawyers file patents constantly. They have the application process down to a science. They will save you time during this process while still ensuring that every piece of the application is complete and filed by the deadline.
How to Find the Best Patent Lawyer
Finding the best Denver patent attorney for your needs is absolutely vital to the success of your patent.
- Seek out recommendations: The first step should be to speak to other inventors. If you don't know any in your area, you can speak to people at the Rocky Mountain Inventors Association or the Inventors Roundtable that meets monthly in Denver. They are people that have experience filing patents and will be able to guide you towards the best patent lawyer in Denver.
- Contact your local bar associations: If you want more recommendations or you weren't able to get any from the other local inventors, you can also get a listing of Denver- or Colorado-based patent attorneys from the Denver Bar Association or the Colorado Bar Association. They will be able to tell you if the lawyer is in good standing.
- Do your research: Contact the USPTO to find out if the lawyers you have found are still in good standing. Look up what kind of law firms the lawyers work for (whether they are big or small) and find out if they have experience filing patents in your industry.
- Set up consultations: Once you have narrowed your search down to two or three lawyers, you should contact them to discuss your needs. Have questions ready and be prepared to explain your invention to them. Check with the USPTO before your meetings so that you know what other patents have been filed that are similar to your invention. Be able to explain how your invention is different.
- Don't focus solely on price: You don't want to find the cheapest patent lawyer in Denver: You want to find the best. The best patent lawyer for you will be someone who understands your invention, has extensive experience filing patent applications, has expertise in your technical field, and doesn't charge more than you can absolutely afford. Consider all of these factors before making a decision.
Questions for Patent Lawyers
- Do you have experience filing patents in my technical field? Hiring someone who understands the technical details of your inventions is vital for writing the best possible application. That means they need to have a background in your technical field.
- What is your success rate for patent applications? How many patents have they filed for versus how many have been successfully granted? This is important to know. Just because they file applications frequently doesn't mean they are good at it. You want to hire someone who repeatedly filed successful patent applications.
- Have you successfully litigated patent cases involving inventions like mine? Having a patent lawyer on your side isn't just about having someone assist with the filing. You also want someone who is able to help later down the line if there is a situation involving patent infringement. Ask them to provide specific examples and what the settlement amounts were.
Why use UpCounsel to hire a Denver Patent Attorney?
You always get experienced professionals and high caliber work.
Your work gets done quickly because professionals are always available.
More cost effective
We use technology to cut traditional overhead and save you thousands.
UpCounsel has been talked about in:
Money-Back Guarantee on All of Your Legal Work
Applies to all transactions with verified attorneys on UpCounselIn the event that you are unsatisfied with the work of an attorney you hired on UpCounsel, just let us know. We’ll take care of it and refund your money up to $5,000 so you can hire another attorney to help you.
Legal Services Offered by Our On-Demand Denver Patent Attorneys
Our experienced Denver patent attorneys & lawyers represent individuals and businesses throughout the world with domestic and foreign patent preparation and prosecution matters. They have extensive experience handling applications from nearly every sector of technology, including biotechnology, computer hardware and software, communication networks, internet systems and methods, automotive, medical equipment, construction technology, consumer electronics, and clean technology research and development.
Our patent attorneys are of the most highly trained in the industry, requiring a scientific background, and passing a second level of testing known as the Patent Bar Examination. Thousands of patents are submitted to the patent office every day and a patent committee reviews each patent for its validity. The process requires that correctly drafted documentation present a clear case for the novelty of the invention, which is best made by a patent attorney with a higher education background in your industry.
Our Denver patent attorneys & lawyers can help you file a provisional patent, which lasts for 1-year and allows you to immediately begin using/manufacturing your invention with the confidence that your idea is protected. These types of patents are great if you think your idea will change a lot over the next year before you file a (non-provisional) patent. These patents are easier to obtain and are less expensive but you should have a patent lawyer review your provisional patent application to insure that you are meeting your objectives when you file your patent.
Improve Your Legal ROI with Affordable Patent Attorneys that service Denver, CO.
What Our Customers Have to Say
"UpCounsel gives me access to big-firm lawyers minus the big-firm price tag. I work with several attorneys on the platform and there are never surprises...I always receive quality legal work at competitive rates that larger firms simply cannot match."
"Every startup needs to know about UpCounsel. We found great attorneys at great prices and were able to focus our resources on improving our business instead of paying legal bills."
"Before UpCounsel it was hard for us to find the right lawyer with the right expertise for our business. UpCounsel solves those problems by being more affordable and helping us find the right lawyer in no time."