An Indiana certificate of authority is required by businesses incorporated in another state who wish to do business in the state of Indiana. By filing an Indiana certificate of authority, you will be registered in the state of Indiana as a foreign entity and will not need to form a new one in the state. Operating in the state without a certificate of authority can lead to penalties and fines.

When Would You Need an Indiana Certificate of Authority?

There are many reasons you will want to apply for a certificate of authority. Some of the most common reasons include:

  • When you are operating a location or an office in a foreign state.
  • When you are hiring an employee who resides within that state.
  • Before starting a job or a contract in that state.
  • To be able to open a bank account.
  • To be able to work with certain vendors.
  • To satisfy any licensing requirements.

How Long Does It Take and How Much Does It Cost to Process an Indiana Certificate of Authority?

The processing times and state fees will largely depend on the type of entity that you are filing for. Some approximate turnaround times and fees are broken down below.

  • Limited Liability Company: 2 business days; approximate cost of $105.
  • Corporations: 2 business days; approximate cost of $105.
  • Nonprofit Corporations: 2 business days; approximate cost of $41.

How Do You Get an Indiana Certificate of Authority?

To obtain your certificate, you will need to submit an Application for Certificate of Authority. This will need to be included with any required certificates from your home state. Once you have filled out your application, you will need to appoint a registered agent authorized to do business in Indiana. Make sure the instructions are followed carefully as errors can result in rejections.

What Documentation Do You Need From Your Home State?

One of the home state documents you will need to submit with your application includes a certificate of existence of your business entity that has been dated within the past 60 days.

What Is a Registered Agent?

A registered agent is a person who will receive service of process and other government notices on behalf of your business. On your application for an Indiana Certificate of Authority, you will need to include the registered agent's name and physical address where they will be available to receive important documents during regular business hours.

What Is the Contact Information for the State of Indiana?

  • Physical Address: Indiana Secretary of State - Business Services Division, 302 W. Washington Street, Indianapolis, IN
  • Phone: Corporations Information Line: 317-232-6576
  • Fax: 317-233-3387
  • Web:

How Do You File for a Profit or Non-Profit Corporation Online?

You can file for your certificate yourself or have an attorney do it online by following the steps listed below.

  • Create an account with the Secretary of State to access the portal. You can review the online tutorial for instructions and, once completed, sign in.
  • On the left-hand side of the screen, select the Online Services tab.
  • Choose Secretary of State Business Service Division and then Out-of-State Business.
  • Click on the Business Formation link.
  • Select the type of entity you are filing for.
  • Enter your business name and check availability.
  • Enter all of the requested business details that are listed on the screen. This will include basic contact information as well as some additional, more detailed questions.
  • Provide the information for your registered agent, including their name and physical address.
  • List the name and address of each incorporator, including name, address, and contact information.
  • If you are a non-profit, you will need to enter the information of each principal.
  • Add any other information you would like to include in your application.
  • Review all the information on the screen and check for accuracy.
  • Check all red highlighted boxes and then enter your name in the virtual signature.
  • Click Add Payment to Cart.
  • Your filing fee will be listed on the page. For-profit corporations will be $105, and non-profits will have to pay $40.
  • Indicate the method of payment you choose from the drop down, and enter your payment details.
  • Click to the final page where you will submit your application.

If you need help with an Indiana certificate of authority, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.