A Texas corporate income tax extension is available for companies intending to file their taxes late. Corporate tax returns in Texas are due on March 15th, so if corporate income tax returns are going to be filed after that date, it's necessary to file for an extension. If you're unsure of how to handle your filing information, you may want to check with your tax advisor or an attorney.

Required Tax Forms

There are a number of forms that are required for federal taxes. These include:

  • Form 1099: Form 1099 is a form that must be filed annually. It's used to report non-employee compensation that has been paid out during the year.
  • S-Corporation Form 1120S: This form is for any business entity that's treated as an S-corporation, whether it generated a profit or not.
  • C-Corporation Form 1120: This form is for all entities that are taxed as C-Corporations, whether the company made a profit, loss, or broke even.
  • C-Corporation Fiscal Year End: Any entity that's taxed as a C-Corporation, whether it's profitable or not, and has a fiscal year that ends anytime other than between December 31 and June 30.
  • C-Corporation Fiscal Year June 30 Form 1120: This form is used for a C-Corporation that has a fiscal year end of June 30, and it is used whether the entity was profitable or not.
  • Forms 1042 and 1042S: These forms are used to report the withholdings of U.S. source income paid to foreign persons.
  • Forms 3921 and 3922: These forms are required when an employee exercises incentive stock options.
  • Form 1065 for partnerships: This form is to be used by entities that are operating as partnerships for tax purposes. It is used whether the partnership earned a profit or not.
  • Foreign bank and financial accounts (FBAR), FinCEN Report number 114: This is necessary if a business entity or individual has either signature authority over or financial interest in a foreign financial account. This form is filed annually, and it is required if the foreign account goes over specific thresholds.

Tax Deadlines in Texas

It is important to file tax forms in a timely manner to avoid penalties and additional fees. Check the forms or consult with your tax advisor to confirm exact due dates. Though this is not a comprehensive list of all tax deadlines, some deadlines to be aware of include:

  • Mid-January: Form 1040-ES. This is the form that must accompany your individual estimated tax payment.
  • Mid-February: Forms 940 and 941 must be filed if all the payments you were required to pay were submitted on time.
  • Late February: Forms 1097, 1098, 1096, 3921, 3922, and W-2G are due at the end of February. Either 1095-C or 1095C, which relate to health care coverage, is also due.
  • Mid-March: S-Corp tax returns, Forms 1120S, 7004, partnership tax returns, Form 1065, and Form 7003 are due.
  • Mid-March: Requests for extensions: Forms 1120, 1120S, and 2553 for S-Corps are due.
  • Early April: Forms W-2, 1097, W-2G, 1094-B and C, 1098, 1095 B and C are due.
  • Mid-April: Form 1040 for individual tax returns and form 4868 for automatic six-month renewal are due.
  • Mid-April: Requests for extensions for corporate income tax form 1120 and form 7004 are due.
  • Mid-April: Some other forms that are due in mid-April include Schedule H to be filed along with your Form 1040 if your household employed someone who was paid over $2,000, estate and trust tax returns, and 1040-ES payment for your estimated income tax for the first quarter of the year for both individuals and corporations.
  • End of April; Forms 941 and TWC form C-3 are due.
  • Early May: Form 941 for the first quarter of the year is due if all payments were deposited on time.

Texas franchise tax reports, public information reports, and ownership reports are due in mid-May. Automatic extensions of filing time requests are also due in mid-May. EFT payors of the extended Texas franchise tax report have a different due date than others filing the franchise tax forms. EFT payors can move the filing date back to mid-August by making a payment on time using TEXNET or WebFile.

If you need help with a Texas income tax extension, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.