Matthew J. Tuller
Estate Planning & Trust Administration Attorney
- Tax Planning
- Other Tax Matter
- Business Formation Consults
- Operating Agreement
- Case Law Research
- Other Legal Research & Writing Matter
Aug 2013 - Present
WealthCounsel, LLC is a national association of top estate planning attorneys. It provides its member-attorneys with technological solutions that assist them in drafting the most comprehensive and effective legal documents. It also provides continuing legal education that keeps its members on the cutting edge of professional knowledge. Finally, it engages memer-attorneys in a collaborative network of attorneys with whom they can exchange ideas and solve problems.
Law Office of Matthew J. Tuller
Oct 2011 - Present
• Drafting and execution of comprehensive estate plans tailored to meet each client's varied levels of planning.
• Creation of simple estate plans for new parents to ensure the protection of their legacies, assets, and children.
• Drafting estate plans for client's residing in foreign countries for their assets located in California.
• Represent both individuals and businesses throughout all phases of litigation.
• Employment litigation matters include wage and hour disputes, whistleblower protections, wrongful termination, retaliation, and harassment.
• Provide legal advice and counseling to businesses to reduce future liability through the drafting and reviewing of employment policies, materials, and practices.
• Drafting, reviewing, and negotiation of commercial contracts.
• Collaboratively work with other attorney’s on a project basis to help them with initial case investigations, review of documentary evidence, the drafting of pleadings, motions, discovery, settlement agreements, and related legal research and writing projects.
Privately Held Corporation
Outside In-House Counsel
Jul 2011 - Present
• Served as in-house counsel on an outside basis as needed by this privately held corporation. This approximately 200 employee company has been able to obtain legal representation through this arrangement without the requirement of employing an attorney on a full-time basis—which classically is how businesses obtain such legal services.
• Provided legal counseling and advice regarding a variety of legal issues such as wage and hour law, wrongful termination, equal employment opportunity, harassment and discrimination, trademark renewal, negotiation of commercial contracts, and general legal compliance issues.
• Reviewed and drafted corporate employment manual, hiring materials, and the corporation's employment practices and policies to diminish the likelihood of future litigation.
Law Office of Anthony J. Sperber
Aug 2011 - Oct 2011
• Assisted in the investigation, preparation and filing of employment litigation cases including wage and hour disputes, wrongful termination, retaliation, and the False Claims Act.
Office of Administrative Hearings
Judicial Extern to the Honorable Judge Ruth S. Astle
Oct 2010 - Nov 2010
• Reviewed motions to compel production of documents and sanctions submitted by both the plaintiff and defendant, completed independent research, and presented my legal conclusions to the presiding judge.
• Researched, analyzed and wrote memorandum concerning evidentiary standards for the admission of statements made during settlement negotiations.
Cary Law Center, P.C.
Jun 2010 - Aug 2010
• Collaboratively researched and wrote an article concerning the practice of real estate mediation (publication pending).
Jun 2010 - Aug 2010
• Completed forty hours of mediation training and served as a mediator for disputes concerning real estate development.
Golden Gate University School of Law
Research Assistant for Professor Helen E. Hartnell
Jan 2010 - Jun 2010
• Research, analyzed, and drafted memoranda regarding transnational litigation issues.
• These issues included how to enforce a money judgment that was awarded in a foreign jurisdiction, and the adjudication of international parallel litigation cases by granting either an anti-suit injunction or enforcing a forum selection clause.
Burnham Brown, P.L.C.
Jun 2009 - Aug 2009
• Drafted a settlement agreement, proposed motion to compel discovery responses and sanctions, certification of interested parties, and a verified application for association of counsel.
• Prepared memorandum concerning equitable subrogation for a named partner that potentially negated $10 million in liability for a client.
• Researched, analyzed and wrote memoranda concerning real estate, commercial litigation, insurance, contracts, patents, and products liability.
• Participated in a mock trial where I wrote and argued a motion to dismiss in a mock federal courtroom.
Oakland City Attorney's Office
Law Clerk, Civil Litigation Division
May 2008 - Jul 2008
• Drafted a motion for summary judgment for failure to allege a proper statutory basis for imposing liability and a motion to dismiss for the Ninth Circuit for failure to file a timely appeal.
• Researched, analyzed, and wrote memoranda concerning pre-trial procedural, discovery, and evidentiary issues.
• These issues included the validity of expert declarations when used to oppose a motion for summary judgment in state court, evidentiary standards for evidence submitted by an expert witness, and whether an entity can be compelled to pay an interest rate in excess of the statutory maximum.
Senior Conflicts Analyst
Jun 2006 - Aug 2007
• Reviewed and analyzed documents submitted by firm attorneys to identify potential and current conflicts of interest.