Doctor of Jurisprudence
Patent Bar, FL
Mederos Legal, PLLC
May 2014 - Present
Provide legal services pertaining to patents, trademarks, copyrights, small businesses, document review, legal research and writing, corporate and regulatory compliance, and contract and statutory interpretation and analysis.
My goal is to help individuals and small businesses develop ideas into valuable intellectual property.
Frias Legal PA
Jan 2014 - Apr 2014
• Trademarks: searches, legal opinions, registration application
• Transactional drafting: Employee, Royalty, Confidentiality, Shareholder, Consulting Agreements
• Regulatory compliance: AvaMed, Sunshine/Open Payments for a medical device company
• Participated in firm startup and management
University of Florida College of Medicine
Aug 2013 - Dec 2013
• Immunology Laboratory, Department of Infectious Diseases and Pathology
• Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry
• Training: HIPAA, IACUC, lab safety, radiation safety, NMR
Sep 2012 - Aug 2013
Provided freelance pro bono legal services in the areas of contract formation, contract interpretation, contract defenses, criminal record expungement, and wills and asset protection.
Jun 2011 - Aug 2011
Conducted legal research on DUI and speeding laws of various states. Used Internet search engines, Westlaw, WestlawNext, and LexisNexis. Synthesized the information into self-help articles explaining the laws and traffic court procedures.
Jacksonville Area Legal Aid, Inc.
Volunteer Certified Legal Intern
Jun 2011 - Aug 2011
Assisted senior attorney with legal research pertaining to child advocacy. Focused on group homes for children and living conditions of foster children in the Jacksonville, Florida, area. Synthesized and presented the information.
TAMIU Writing Center
Certified Writing Consultant
Aug 2006 - Jul 2009
• Consultant to graduate and undergraduate students for the following: grammar, syntax, punctuation, citation formats, technical writing, creative writing, outlining, sentence diagramming, brainstorming, organization, style
• Tutored international English-as-a-second-language students
• Conducted writing workshops for freshman and sophomore-level English classes
• Supervised and trained new consultants
• Editor of and Contributor to The Writers’ Forum, a bi-monthly publication