* Creates strong internal relationships and network, which allows for quick and creative problem-solving and knowledgeable communication.
* Highly versatile and quickly masters new projects, roles, responsibilities, and environments.
* Effective communicator and liaison, adept at building strong relationships and alliances across the business.
* I lead all work for business development, marketing, intellectual property,… read more real estate, data science, and more.
* Managed the commercial group and 250+ contracts per year.
* Key participant in a strategic partnership with Carvana creating the first-of-its-kind embedded auto insurance product.
* Led the creation and operation of Root Enterprise, a B2B software licensing business.
- Affiliate Agreement
- Licensing Agreement
- Marketing Agreement
- Non-Disclosure Agreement (Commercial)
- SaaS Agreement
- Service Agreement
- Terms of Service
- User Agreement
- Vendor Agreement
- Other Commercial Contract Matter
- Outside General Counsel
- General Advice
"Matthew helped us establish a start-up inside a start-up and was responsible for drafting all of our operable documents, including the NDA, MSA, and statements of work we used for each sales deal. When we needed to negotiate with our customers, Matt was responsive and creative in reaching a resolution. He always took the time to understand the situation but made sure he did not stand in the way of the sale. We really enjoyed working with Matt."
"Matt handled hundreds of NDAs for us over the past three years. They have ranged from basic agreements with smaller vendors to NDAs related to complex deals with partners or competitors. Each time Matt works to understand the underlying deal so that we can proactively protect our interests. Highly recommended."
Deputy General Counsel
Feb 2019 - Present
Reports to the GC, responsible for drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, including SaaS subscription agreements, data processing agreements, licensing agreements, vendor agreements, NDAs, and marketing agreements.
Work alongside members of the business teams, including business development, product, human resources, marketing, and legal teams.
Associate General Counsel
Apr 2015 - Mar 2017
Reported to the GC, was responsible for managing the Company’s worldwide litigation portfolio - US, Canada, and Europe - for matters regarding multiple disciplines - commercial, IP, employment, and product liability.
Role included responsibility for diverse companies, including a North American industrial equipment supplier, direct-to-consumer electronics business, and European B2B entities.
JPMorgan Chase Bank
VP, Assistant General Counsel
Nov 2019 - Apr 2015
Managed an ongoing nationwide workload of 150 active matters while directing outside counsel, vendors, and advising internal clients regarding strategy, policies, and dispute resolution negotiations.