Litigation Attorney Specializing in Dispute Resolution
"Denis was great. Was straightforward and to the point with his work and advice"
After working at an international law firm, the country's largest local prosecutor's office and a litigation boutique, I founded Orsus Gate LLP in order to better connect with clients and provide a more tailored service.
I now specialize in helping companies with early dispute resolution, mediation,… read more arbitration, and litigation.
- Appellate Litigation
- Breach of Contract
- Cease & Desist Letter
- Demand Letter
- Product Liability
- Settlement Agreement
- Other Lawsuits & Disputes Matter
- Case Law Research
- Letter of Intent
- Other Legal Research & Writing Matter
- Labor Litigation
"Denis Shmidt is awesome! He explained law in plain English so that I could understand the choices before me. He is very patient & clear with his responses. Integrity, honesty, truth & perseverance sums up Denis Shmidt. Upcounsel thank you for having him on here! Otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to find him"
"Professional approach with fast response. I'm very glad working with Denis."
"Denis was easy to work with, straightforward and knowledgeable."
"Really good Attorney"
"Working with Denis has been great. He provides an ideal balance of by-the-book legal perspective as well as general expertise & insight backed up by his experience; it was exactly what I was looking for while working through a buyout agreement. He also is incredibly responsive and worked very quickly whenever I needed him, even though our engagement was just a few scattered hours every week or so. Thank you Denis!"
"Incredibly responsive with a great attention to detail. Very happy with Denis's services and would use again in a heartbeat!"
Orsus Gate LLP
Feb 2017 - Present
I am a problem solver. As your business grows, disputes will develop. I work to make sure that those disputes are taken care of quickly and efficiently, so you can focus on what you do best.
Lewis & Llewellyn LLP
Senior Litigation Associate
Jan 2016 - Feb 2017
- Advised technology companies on regulations, contract negotiations and employment matters
- Handled all aspects of litigation from intake to judgment, and beyond
- Specialized in alternative dispute resolution for both emerging and established companies
- Commonly acted as outside in-house counsel for developing companies
Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office
Deputy District Attorney
Oct 2013 - Jan 2016
- Oversaw thousands of cases and run a felony calendar
- Prosecuted seventeen jury trials to verdict and conducted over 250 preliminary hearings
- Authored and argued dozens of motions, ranging from pre-trial to post-conviction
Sacks Glazier Franklin & Lodise LLP
Aug 2012 - Sep 2013
- Specialized in California trust and estate litigation and mediation
- Successfully second chaired a probate trial on behalf of a major fiduciary institution
- Examined key witnesses and experts in a removal proceeding on behalf of a trust beneficiary
- Deposed named petitioner and main witness in a trust action against a major trust bank
Sullivan & Cromwell
Nov 2009 - Jul 2012
- Opposed class certification in antitrust action involving shipping services
- Oversaw the depositions of dozens of third party corporations in an indirect patent infringement suit
- Drafted post-judgment motions in a trademark dispute for a major shoe retailer
- Prepared briefs to the Puerto Rico Supreme Court on the interpretation of Puerto Rico’s antitrust law