General Business Description Examples
General business description examples give you an idea on how to write a business description or company profile for your company.3 min read
2. What Should You Include in a Company Business Description?
3. Business Description Examples for Directory Listing
4. Tips for Writing an Effective Company Profile
General business description examples give you an idea on how to write a business description or company profile for your company, so that it communicates your field and scope of business to your target audience in the most effective manner possible.
The general company description should tell your audience what your company does, what its goals are and what business philosophy it subscribes to.
What Is a Company Profile?
A company profile is a formal introduction of your business. It informs others about the company's products and services. A well-written company profile creates a great impression on the audience. It's an effective way to introduce your company to your customers, creditors and other stakeholders.
If you are creating a company profile to place on your business website, you should structure it carefully so that users can easily navigate through important information, like company address, management team and contact details. A company profile listed in business directories and organizations, like Better Business Bureau (BBB), makes it easy for customers to find your company and learn about the products and services it offers.
You should write a company profile from the perspective of the reader and customize it for your target audience.
What Should You Include in a Company Business Description?
- Mission Statement: It's a short statement that tells why the company exists and what its guiding principles are.
- Goals and Objectives: Describe your business goals or long range plans and the objectives or steps to achieve those goals.
- Business Philosophy: It's the fundamental principle for which your company is formed.
- Industry: Describe the industry you work in, including the growth prospects and the opportunities it presents.
- Strengths and Skills: Describe the strengths and skills of your company and the advantages it has over its competition.
- Legal Structure: Specify whether your business is a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company or a corporation.
- Target Market: Give a brief description of your target market and how you plan to approach it.
- Closing Summary: Write it as an introduction to create the first impression, so that your target audience wants to know more about your business.
Writing a Business Description for a Directory Listing
If you are writing a business description for a directory listing, make sure it includes the following essential information:
- Business name
- City, town or neighborhood
- Industry or business category
- Search terms related to your business
- Value statement
Business Description Examples for Directory Listing
XYZ is a partnership firm owned and operated by A and B in the city of Davis, California. You can find all types of lab equipment for schools and colleges.
ABC Company provides high quality plumbing services. We have been serving St. Washougal, Washington and neighboring areas for more than 12 years.
Sit and Chill is a Chinese restaurant in St. Irving, Texas. For nine years, we have been a local favorite for the best Chinese noodles in town.
Apex Doors is a garage door repair company in Wooster, Ohio. We specialize in building and repairing garage doors.
Tips for Writing an Effective Company Profile
- Begin with a focused company introduction that tells about the management style of your company.
- Avoid using idioms and phrases. State the mission statement as clearly as possible.
- Define your company's policy in catchy terms keeping your target customers in mind.
- Use appropriate format and style as suggested by authority sources.
- Revise your company profile from time to time and keep it up-to-date.
- Understand the requirements of the business directory you are writing your company profile for. Some directories include everything in one place, while others provide additional fields for certain information like location, category and amenities.
- Write to inform rather than to impress. Make sure you provide all the details your customer would need to contact you.
- Align the description with the tone and brand of your company.
- After reading your description, customers should be able to visualize an image of your company rather than remembering a bulleted list of details.
- Customize your company profile for different niche-specific directories. Instead of copying and pasting the same description everywhere, try to highlight those aspects of your business which are most relevant to the platform.
- Always remember your target audience while writing the company description. Think about their requirements and preferences.
- Try to make your business stand out from your competition.
If you need help with general business description examples, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.