CIPP/US, JD, MBA, BSEE, BSCE
CA, UT, Patent Bar, CIPP/US, US Supreme Court
Ben Holt focuses his practice on privacy, risk and intellectual property. He advises Fortune 500 companies, mid-size companies, foreign entities and start-ups on cutting edge privacy risks, becoming GDPR compliant, preparing data processing addendums (DPAs), responding to the office for civil rights, and aiding with global IP portfolio strategy including US and foreign applications. For pro bono, Ben acts as an "outside… read more general counsel" for an international charity.
- Non-Provisional Patent
- Patent Consults
- Patent Search
- Provisional Patent
- Response to USPTO Office Action (Patent)
- Licensing Agreement
- SaaS Agreement
- Service Agreement
- Terms of Service
- Vendor Agreement
- Other Commercial Contract Matter
"Highly recommend Ben. Ben and me worked on my five patents together last year. It is really a wonder experience. Ben has very good communication skills and is a good listener too. Ben can quickly understand the essentials of our invents and draft it very quickly too."
"I highly recommend Ben Holt. I run a software development company and his assistance reviewing and advising me on user agreements and policy's has been outstanding."
Jul 2020 - Present
Developed milestone based billing that includes statement of work to keep projects in budget and within scope. Practical experience in California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), European Privacy Law (GDPR, ePrivacy), Data Security, Vendor Contract Compliance, International Data Transfers, Patent Prosecution, Patent Evaluation. Full stack developer (MERN stack). Expertise in electrical and software.
Banner & Witcoff
Apr 2019 - Jun 2020
Complex international patent application preparation and prosecution. Technology expertise in 3GPP LTE, 5G, networks, computer processors, virtual and augmented reality.
Mar 2014 - Apr 2019
• Designed and Built GDPR Gap Analysis Tool
• Guided Companies to Construct Privacy Practice Teams From Nothing
• Guided Companies to Build GDPR Compliance Teams With Gap Analysis and Corporate Change
• Negotiation of International Contracts for GDPR
• Prepare Data Protection Addendums for Vendors and Clients (Over 40 since GDPR)
• Drafting and Prosecution of International Patent Applications
Jun 2011 - Mar 2014
• Directly advise client business units on patent portfolio management, strategy and techniques to speed up prosecution for use in offensive, defensive and licensing strategies.
• Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for hardware, software and mechanical technologies
• Reviewing applications from junior associates and agents in view of client standards
Bateman IP Law Group
Oct 2006 - May 2011
• Litigating cases including drafting complaints, answers, motions, requests for admission, requests for documents and interrogatories; creating demonstratives for patent suit
• Advising clients on trademark filing and prosecution, including risk review
• Patent drafting and prosecution, as above
Ben Holt Consulting
Dec 2005 - Dec 2006
Independent contract programmer during law school.
Lead Engineer, JCX
Feb 2002 - Dec 2003
Lead developer for JCX project that included embedded systems, robotics, and wireless communications. Wrote drivers and API for JCX systems and debugged the hardware. Designed drivers that could be loaded at runtime from directly from expansion boards, allowing self-identification, runtime configuration, and decisions on embedded systems. Used native Java chip in which the silicon was the Java VM.