Attorney at Law
Southern California Gould
School of Law
Segun has excellent communication, drafting, advisory, advocacy and negotiation skills and knowledge of doing business as well as legal compliance, which position him to counsel… read more clients and businesses within his practice.
Segun Aluko Law
Attorney at Law
May 2014 - Present
My practice areas include:
• General Corporate Transactions - corporate formation, structuring and governance, mergers and acquisitions, project and corporate finance, partnership agreements, joint venture, special purpose vehicle (SPV) for investment purposes and non-disclosure agreements;
• Media and Entertainment Transactions - film and television production, financing, licensing and distribution, artist representation, privacy rights, first amendment, art consignment and art sale/purchase;
• Intellectual Property and Technology Law - copyright, trademark, internet law, software licensing and partnership agreements.
Law Clerk / Contract Attorney, Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group
Aug 2014 - Dec 2014
• Represent motion picture studios, television networks, and production companies in connection with rights acquisition and options, content development, motion picture and documentary production, scripted and unscripted television production, distribution, and licensing.
• Counsel on various corporate matters relating to single purpose production entities, equity and debt financing for motion picture and documentary production, settlement and release agreement and non-disclosure agreements.
• Negotiate publishing and licensing deals for in-flight entertainment, motion picture and television programming, and motion picture and television engagements for actors and reality show participants, writers, producers and directors.
Bank of America Corp.
Default Litigation Specialist
Jun 2012 - Dec 2013
• Managed high volume contested and litigated foreclosure cases towards timely resolution and/or settlement.
• Provided legal support to external and in-house counsel, prepared and reviewed discovery and privilege logs, affidavits in support of motions, motions for summary judgment, defense pleadings and other pleadings for execution and filing.
• Responsible for keeping up-to-date on developments in the US mortgage industry and researched legal compliance with RESPA, TILA, HUD requirements and other mortgage laws in response to adverse pleadings against the bank.
University of Southern California Law School
Research Assistant to Prof. Gillian Hadfield
Sep 2011 - May 2012
Researched broad areas of law, economic and institutional policies with special focus on the challenges of entrepreneurial activities in developing economies and exploring solutions through institutional, legal and regulatory frameworks and policies.
Intern, Business and Legal Affairs
Jan 2012 - Apr 2012
• Drafted and reviewed entertainment law agreements including: executive producer, co-producer and production services agreements, network test and top talent employment agreements, casting director, writer and “showrunner” agreements, music composition and performance agreement, location and award shows agreement and below-the-line crew agreement for scripted and non-scripted TV productions including top shows like Being Mary Jane, The Game, Let's Stay Together and BET Awards.
• Prepared legal opinions on the interpretation of relevant contracts, legal compliance and intellectual property rights issues including privacy/publicity rights on social media, copyright and trademark infringements and talents employment.
• Researched various Guilds Agreements (SAG-AFTRA and IATSE) to ensure that negotiation deal points and agreements comply with Guilds’ Minimum Basic Agreements where necessary.
Aluko & Oyebode
Sep 2009 - Aug 2011
• Advised and provided legal analysis to a leading Nigerian commercial bank on its loan portfolio regarding $170 Million syndicated loan raised via issuance of debt instruments made by the bank as the lead arranger and facility agent; reviewed the syndicated medium term note issuance facility agreement, intercreditor agreement, security trust deed and subordination agreement.
• Advised MTV Networks on the enforcement of licensing and technology transfer agreement and repatriation of license fees under the Nigerian technology acquisition and promotion law pursuant to licensing of a slate of TV productions including “MTV’s Pimp my ride” to a Nigerian TV Network.
• Advised Nokia on Nigerian copyright, trademark, online advertising, safe harbour provisions and communications laws regarding the introduction of consumer internet services on its mobile telecommunication devices in Nigeria.
• Prepared, filed and managed trademark and patent applications – including national phase of WIPO’s PCT applications – for international corporations in Nigeria, and regional marks in ARIPO and OAPI jurisdictions of East and Central Africa.
• Prepared and circulated the firm’s bi-monthly IP newsletters containing articles that focused on developments and activities of the copyright, trademark and patent offices and other regulatory agencies regarding clients’ brands and other IP rights.
• Represented an international tobacco corporation in trademark infringement action under the International Convention on Protection of Well Known Marks and the concept of first to register versus first to use under Nigerian Trademark law.
• Represented an international breweries corporation and obtained judgment in a trademark infringement action and contempt proceedings over an order staying international arbitration proceedings in Switzerland regarding dispute over multi-billion naira foreign direct investment and technology transfer transaction; enforced judgment through writ of sequestration.
Aluko & Oyebode
Jun 2006 - Jul 2009
• Researched and drafted briefs of argument, commercial agreements and legal opinions; conducted statutory searches and prepared appropriate reports for secured lending, legal due diligence for mergers and acquisition and debt recovery.
• Prepared seminar papers and slide presentations for firm partners and associates including Request for Proposal, Due Diligence Reports and Investigation Reports.
• Attended and observed client interviews, court and arbitration proceedings with firm partners and associates.