Attorney at Law
WA, OR, Federal Court
Prior to establishing his own law firm, Ken served as the General Counsel,… read more VP of Human Resources, Chief Compliance Officer,
Law Offices of Ken Mitchell-Phillips
Attorney at Law
Jan 2014 - Present
The Law Offices of Ken Mitchell-Phillips Law, P.C. is a law firm established in Oregon and Washington to provide personalized and high quality business transactional, real estate, civil litigation, and estate planning legal services to businesses ranging from start-ups and emerging small businesses to Fortune 500 companies in the Pacific Northwest. The firm is dedicated to providing its' clients high quality, sophisticated, and complex legal services at a reasonable rate.
When you hire The Law Offices of Mitchell-Phillips, P.C., you are not just getting another law firm, you'll get valuable legal advice and counsel from an experienced, knowledgeable, and sophisticated lawyer who has: a Master's Degree in Business; a combined 25 years of legal and business experience; training in one of the most recognized award-winning big law firms in the Pacific Northwest with approximately 500 lawyers in nine offices on the east and west coasts of the United States and in Shanghai; experience representing clients all over the world including, but not limited to, the U.S., the U.K., Trinidad, Ireland, China, and Canada; wide-ranging experience working as an in-house attorney for a multinational technology firm, with the state and local government, and with large, medium-sized, and small companies throughout the Pacific Northwest.
The Law Offices of Ken Mitchell-Phillips, P.C. specializes in:
General Counsel, VP of Human Resources, CCO, Corporate Secretary
Feb 2012 - Feb 2014
• Responsible for managing company-wide legal affairs throughout the U.S., Canada, Ireland, and the U.K. Provides legal advice, counsel, and opinions in all areas impacting the company, including, but not limited to, complex corporate transactions, contract/licensing drafting and negotiation, corporate governance, federal/state regulatory compliance, strategic corporate planning, intellectual property protection, management of litigation, employment law matters, and cost-effective use and management of outside counsel.
• Serve as Vice President of Human Resources overseeing all aspects of HR in the U.S., Canada, Ireland, and the U.K, with responsibilities for policy development and implementation, employee relations, benefits and compensations administration, performance management, and litigation.
• Provide counsel and strategic direction and drives compliance strategy by developing, and overseeing, policies and procedures for the general operation of the Company's Compliance Program and its related activities.
Mitchell-Phillips Law, P.C.
Attorney, President, Shareholder
Jun 2009 - Feb 2012
• Oversaw the establishment and entire operational function of a law firm in Portland, Oregon; executed a wide-ranging of duties, including strategic planning; hiring, training, and supervising of staff; budgeting; marketing; and operations management.
• Represented businesses in various legal matters, including business transactions, corporate finance, real estate, international law, commercial litigation, and estate planning.
• Prepared and wrote business transactional agreements, such as asset and stock purchase agreements, license and distribution contracts, intellectual property, consultation and employment related agreements, loans and promissory notes, and security agreements.
• Participated in various complex commercial litigation matters.
Davis Wright Tremaine
Aug 2006 - May 2009
• Supported public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, preferred stock financings, equity investments, debt instruments, purchases and sales of businesses, as wells as other related transactions.
• Experience gained with small cap publicly listed issuers in corporate compliance, generally, and under the 1933 and 1934 Securities Acts,including drafting periodic reports under the 1934 Act.
• Represented several companies by preparing, reviewing, and advising on various business transactions such as: bargain and sale deeds, promissory notes, guaranties, security agreements, non-disclosure agreements, subleases, independent contractor agreements, release and waiver of liability agreements, settlements, software licensing agreements, asset and stock agreements, shareholder agreements, and corporate resolutions.
• Handled a variety of real estate matters, including, but not limited to, easement and license agreements, commercial leases, condominium purchases and sales, time share arrangements, and purchase and sale agreements.
Jan 2006 - Jun 2006
• Conducted legal research and drafted memos on issues regarding sports contracts, event management, intellectual property, human resources, etc.
• Conferred with managers, staff, and external clients regarding contracts and similar legal questions.
• Assisted in various court proceedings regarding intellectual property.
Bonneville Power Administration
Jan 2005 - Jan 2006
• Conducted legal research and drafted memos on issues regarding electrical power, transmission, procurement, and human resources for General Counsel's Office.
Davis Wright Tremaine
Jun 2004 - Sep 2005
• Worked in the Business Transactions Department assisting attorneys with business formations, drafting and reviewing contracts, drafting memos on business transactions questions, and assisting with SEC Forms.
State of Oregon
Aug 2004 - Jan 2005
• Conducted legal research and drafted memos on issues regarding education, workforce development, and general state government concerns.
• Conferred with policy advisers, state appointed officials, and legislatures on a variety of legal questions.
• Assisted in various legislative proceedings.