Attorney at Law
California Hastings College of the Law
AIDS Legal Referral Panel
Oct 2013 - Present
Provide pro bono and low cost legal representation to people living with HIV/AIDS. Counsel clients on credit management, bankruptcy, real estate, tax, and estate planning matters.
Law Offices of Stephanie A. Perez
Jan 2013 - Present
Solo-practitioner providing knowledgeable advice and attentive service to individuals in real estate, bankruptcy, wills and trusts, and estate planning matters. Comprehensively advise small businesses in areas such as contract review, governance, organization, and incorporation. Assist nonprofit organizations develop launch plans and apply for tax-exempt status from the IRS and FTB.
Law Offices of Dean Lloyd, APC
Sep 2009 - Dec 2012
Managed high-volume Chapter 7 and 13 consumer bankruptcy caseload and complete research and writing assignments in wills and trusts, family law, probate, and civil law matters as needed.
• Timely and comprehensively researched, drafted, and edited all petitions, motions, objections, oppositions to creditor motions, and discovery in bankruptcy matters
• Advocated for clients’ interests before the court in confirmation, motion, and objection hearings
• Drafted adversary complaints to litigate the dischargeability of a student loan for undue hardship; turnover of funds setoff from a debtor’s bank accounts; fraudulent foreclosure; and to quiet title in real property
• Participated in settlement negotiations and review of settlement agreements, including settlement with a major institutional lender for cancellation of a foreclosure sale
• Completed petitions for marital dissolution and answers to civil complaints for breach of contract; drafted family law motions and briefs regarding property division and child custody and visitation
Wealth Strategies Journal
May 2009 - Sep 2009
Researched and wrote an article on self-canceling installment notes (SCINs) as estate planning strategies for online publication.
UC Hastings College of the Law
Research Asst. to Prof. Lathrope
Oct 2007 - Jan 2008
Edited Global Issues in Income Taxation, an introduction to international, transnational, and comparative law. Revised text for clarity in communication of complex foreign tax concepts, revised case edits, and confirmed accuracy of tax code citations.
Buchman Law Firm
May 2007 - Aug 2007
Conducted research and drafted memoranda on federal and state laws concerning licensing, regulatory compliance, and trade practices applicable to alcoholic beverage wholesalers and suppliers.
California Public Utilities Commission
Intern to Comm'r John Bohn
May 2006 - Aug 2006
Researched law and administrative record and authored an Order Instituting Rulemaking, proposing changes for more efficient regulation of independent natural gas storage providers.