Attorney at Law
Advocates Law Group PLLC
Aug 2012 - Present
I continue to focus primarily on business consulting services for early and growth stage technology companies, but I am also a member of Advocates Law Group.
ALG is a virtual law firm providing high quality, cost-effective legal services for businesses and individual clients alike. ALG offers the breadth of practice areas and the depth of experience of more traditional law firms, but with greatly reduced overhead due to the absence of a physical office. That cost savings is passed on to clients through fees that are significantly below market.
With more than 400 combined years in practice, including experience at some of the largest law firms in the Northwest as well as public sector, judicial, and in-house counsel roles, the attorneys of ALG have the experience and knowledge to help clients throughout the Pacific Northwest with almost any legal situation.
Sage Management, LLC
Jan 2006 - Present
Part time management for traditional and energy technology companies in the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia, and Hawaii. This includes both guidance/consultation and active engagement on the client's behalf, as well as part-time C-level assistance.
• Providing strategic, business development, and fundraising assistance
• Built extensive relationships with energy efficiency organizations on West Coast
• Lead clients into new markets and new strategic partners
• Client technologies have included HVAC efficiency for commercial buildings; disaster preparedness and response; hydrogen reformation and desulfurization for fuel cells; laser power delivery; green roofs; cyber security; fast charger for vehicle batteries; and environmentally safe and efficient paint sprayers
• Also served as General Counsel for a Seattle-based mobile content provider
Chief Operating Officer
Apr 2011 - Apr 2012
LaserMotive is developing wireless power delivery systems using laser beams to transmit electricity without wires, for applications where wires are either cost prohibitive or physically impractical. Scott managed the business side of the company, including operations, finance, business development, government relations, sales, and marcom.
QL2 Software, Inc.
COO and General Counsel
Oct 2008 - Feb 2010
Managed operations in 16-month turnaround at a 160+ person technology company that led from significant operating losses to profitability within 12 months. Rectified numerous corporate, financial, and legal challenges and inappropriate practices that existed at the start of the turnaround. Oversaw finance, HR, IT, real estate, international operations, biz dev, and all legal matters. Restructured sales process and pricing to achieve up to 3.5x higher average contract value Actively involved in all fundraising and corporate development activities. Reorganized management and operations of 100+ person India subsidiary, including managing the office directly for three months while there was no on-site senior manager.
Director Business Development
Oct 2002 - Mar 2006
Company is developer of virtual reality simulation software for military and homeland security training. Scott’s role was to develop the domestic homeland security market opportunity and re-purpose the technology originally developed for the military into a training system for integrated regional first responder groups.
• Spearheaded business development and sales for the non-military market
• Convinced federal, state, and local officials to implement a statewide virtual reality training program in California
• Key contributor to strategic plans and marketing/communications program
• Led efforts for proposal and grant application submissions
Convergent Technology Group, Inc.
Co-Founder / Managing Director
Nov 2000 - Jul 2002
Company was a consulting firm for emerging technology companies. Convergent brought a multi-discipline team to client engagements to provide a wide range of business expertise to companies that had stalled in their growth.
• Formulated the original business plan for the launch of the firm
• Evaluated potential engagements and investments for the firm
• Advised clients on business strategy and merger & acquisition activities
• Facilitated a reverse merger, preparing the necessary filings & registration with the IRS & NASD
Webforia, Inc. / Webforia Partners, Inc
Vice President, International Business Development & M&A
Oct 1999 - Jul 2000
Company was developer of an Internet platform to host vertical business communities
Wrote business plans; then evaluated and negotiated client and investment opportunities
Negotiated strategic partnerships and led expansion efforts into Asia
Counseled client and portfolio companies on management issues
Vice President, Business Development and Operations
Mar 1999 - Aug 1999
Company was a provider of competitive advertising intelligence based on tracking Internet advertising
• Managed operations, finance, recruiting, legal matters, and corporate growth
• Negotiated strategic alliances with AOL and Avenue A (aQuantive)
• Negotiated nine charter customer contracts
• Wrote business plan; then pursued fundraising prior to sale of company
• Induced AOL to become the sole investor in a Series B round, at a nearly 10x increase in valuation from the Series A approximately eight months earlier
Preston Gates & Ellis LLP (now K&L|Gates)
Partner, Commercial Litigation / General Business Consultation
Mar 1988 - Sep 1998
Large law firm based in Seattle
• Chair of the quick response/emergency litigation practice group
• Clients ranged in size from sole proprietorships to Microsoft and included wide range of public and private agencies and companies
• International clients include Canadian, Chinese, Danish, English, French, Japanese, and Korean companies
Karr Tuttle Campbell
Jun 1985 - Feb 1988
United States Department of Justice
Trial Attorney, Western Region, Tax Division
Mar 1981 - Jun 1985
• Hired under the Attorney General’s Honors Program
• Received 1984 Tax Division Outstanding Attorney Award