A Guide on How to Obtain an E-Visa in the United States

Learn more about a E-Visa, who it's for, the requirements, and process for obtaining one to for those who with to trade or invest in the United States.

What are E-Visas? 

E-Visas comprise of two very distinct categories.

E-1 Visas

This visa is for those who wish to come to the United States to conduct substantial trade between their home nation and the United States.

E-2 Visas

This visa is for those who would like to make a substantial investment in the United States for a new or existing business.

Generally, most people refer to these types of visas as treaty traders and investors because a treaty of commerce and navigation has been carried out between the country of which the treaty trader or investor is a citizen of and the United States.

Treaty traders carry on substantial trade in goods, including but not limited to services and technology, principally between the United States and the foreign country of which they are citizens or nationals.

Treaty investors direct the operations of an enterprise in which they have invested, or are actively investing a substantial amount of money. Additionally, this category also includes Australian specialty occupation workers.

The E-Visa Registration Process

Under current immigration law, E-Visas are generally issued for an initial period of up to 2 years, but can be renewed almost indefinitely if done correctly. One must be of the same nationality as the treaty registered employer and must have experience in a managerial or executive role or have the skills essential to the operation of the business in the United States.


Need help obtaining an E-Visa?

Post a Job on UpCounsel about your E-Visa and Connect with Quality Immigration Attorneys who can give you free proprosals today.