A Guide on How to Obtain B-1 & B-2 Visitor Visas

Those who wish to come to the United States for business or personal travel can apply for B visitor visas.

B-1 visas are for business visitors and B-2 visas are for trips for which the purpose is personal or pleasure.

Examples of a B-1 visa are to consult with a business associate, attend an educational conference, or negotiate a contract, etc.

On the other hand, a B-2 visa would be for tourism, vacation, to visit friends or family etc.

B-1 & B-2 Visa Requirements

The B-1 and B-2 visas both have a maximum stay of up to six months. In order to be eligible to obtain a B-1 visa there are several criteria.

A few are as follows: the purpose of your trip is to enter the Untied States for business is legitimate, whether you plan to remain for a specific limited period of time, and whether you have a residence outside the United States in which you have no intention of abandoning.

Additionally, what legitimate business you intend to carry out in the United States has several requirements to meet. B-2 visas are for anyone seeking to visit the United States except for individuals from certain countries that qualify under the Visa Waiver Program. People eligible under the Visa Waiver Program typically do not even know, but the stamp in your passport is what signifies that you are allowed into a country under this program.

Similar to the B-1 visa, you will apply via the U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the United States. The application process contains a fee and an individual must show documentation that the trip is for pleasure as well as several other requirements very similar to the B-1 visa. Visitors from certain countries are eligible for multiple visas that could allow up to a ten-year stay, but many are only eligible for a single entry visa.

However, a visitor visa may be utilized for visits up to six months, but may be extended under certain circumstances. In both cases of obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visa, staying longer than provided for under your application will be cause for serious repercussions. Complying with United States and/or foreign law in the matter of immigration is a very serious concern that should always be consulted with an attorney.

H-1B Visa - Specialty Occupation Worker (skilled worker)

L-1 Visa - Intra-company Transferee

B-1 Visa - Business visitors

J-1 Visa - Exchange Visitor Program

Green Card - Permanent Residence to live and work in the U.S.


Need help obtaining a certain B-Visa (visitor visa)?

Post a Job on UpCounsel and Connect with Quality Immigration Attorneys today.