Georgia LLC Articles Of Organization: Everything You Need to Know
Georgia LLC articles of organization are filed with the Georgia Secretary of State in order to form a limited liability company (LLC) in Georgia.3 min read
2. Detailed Instructions for Filing Articles of Organization Online
3. Filing Georgia Articles of Organization by Mail
Georgia LLC articles of organization are filed with the Georgia Secretary of State in order to form a limited liability company (LLC) in Georgia. You can file for Georgia LLC articles of organization one of two ways: online and by mail. If you fulfill the following minimum requirements, it is easy to file for Georgia LLC articles of organization.
Filing Articles of Organization and a Transmittal Form
You must fill out 12 sections of information when filing for Georgia LLC articles of incorporation.
To file Georgia LLC articles of organization online, visit the Georgia Corporations Division to create an online account.
After listing all the necessary contact information and your email address, form a user ID, a password, and a security question. When your account is finalized you will be notified with a confirmation message showing your user ID and password.
Detailed Instructions for Filing Articles of Organization Online
Follow these steps to file Georgia LLC articles of organization online:
- Set up the business by choosing “I am creating a new domestic business.” Next, scroll through the “Business Type” list and select “Domestic Limited Liability Company.”
- Input your LLC name exactly how you want it to appear, including capitalization.
- In the business purpose field, you can choose to list your business industry or not show this information.
- If you prefer to list your business industry, select a North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code from the list and choose a “NAICS SubCode.” The main purpose of the NAICS Code is to classify your LLC's line of business and business activities.
- List the primary street address of your LLC. This address will serve as your place of regular communication and can be any street address in Georgia but not a P.O. box.
- The next step is to create a business email. It is at this email address that you will receive LLC approval. This can also be your personal email address.
- Click on the “Create Registered Agent” button. If the button is grayed out, you will have to search the name in the “Registered Agent Name” or add your commercial registered agent information (if you've hired one) into that same box.
- Now you must add information about the organizer or the person/persons responsible for filing the LLC's paperwork to the state. Apply and save the first organizer's contact information.
- The next step is an optional provision section to which you can add rules and regulations to your LLC. This is not a mandatory field.
- In the "Filer's Certification (Signature)," agree to the conditions by checking off the box.
- Choose your “Effective Date." An LLC is formally established on the date it is submitted to the state. However, it is possible to forward the date of your filing up to 90 days.
- View all the information you've inserted, and check it for typos.
- In the section “Would you like to expedite the filing,” you can specify your preferred processing time. You can select the following options: “Regular Process” for the seven-day processing (the fees for this option total $100), “24-48 Hours” for an expedited two-day processing (which costs $200), and “Same Day” for an accelerated same-day processing (which costs $350). After you've selected one of these options, hit the “Click to Pay” button to continue.
- Proceed with your contact and billing information.
Filing Georgia Articles of Organization by Mail
To file for Georgia LLC articles of organization by mail, you will still need to submit the articles of organization and a transmittal form.
The complete process consists of downloading the articles of organization and the transmittal form. Filing the articles of organization and transmittal form procedure is similar to filing online.
Your filing information must contain:
- Two copies of the articles of organization (one original and one copy)
- A transmittal form
- A filing fee of $100
Georgia articles of organization must contain the information described in O.C.G.A. 14-11-204, and the articles must be delivered on white 8½- by 11-inch paper.
Regardless of whether you complete your filing process online or by mail, you should receive:
- A receipt
- A stamped and approved copy of your articles of organization
- The certificate of organization.
If you need help with Georgia LLC articles of organization, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.