The Naturalization Act of 1790 is a law that gave United States Citizenship to anyone who was born in the country. It also created a process for any foreigner to apply for citizenship. This law came to be during the first session of Congress. The act stated that any immigrant could apply for citizenship if they met specific requirements, such as having good moral character, being a permanent resident in the country, and living there for at least five years.

There are two important documents you get during the naturalization process. The first is an order of admission, which confirms that someone has become a citizen by swearing an oath. The second is a certificate of naturalization. This document states that a person who applied for citizenship met all the requirements and was granted citizenship status.

Naturalization is when an immigrant becomes a citizen of the country they immigrate to. Naturalization is not automatic and requires several steps, including filing for citizenship and taking an oath of allegiance to be admitted into citizenship.

The naturalization certificate proves that you have completed all of these steps successfully. You can use this certificate as evidence for various benefits, such as getting a passport or applying for federal jobs. Keep reading to find out how you can get a certification of naturalization and the steps you should take if you lose it.

What Is a Certificate of Naturalization Number?

A certificate of naturalization number or c-file is the record of your naturalization. This is a unique number given to each applicant who has completed the application process for U.S. citizenship. It helps you prove your status as a naturalized citizen. The 8-digit alphanumeric number is in the top right corner of your naturalization certificate. USCIS uses the c-file certificate number to keep track of the status and history of a person's application for citizenship, including the filing date, when it was approved, whether there were any changes in the applicant's status during the process and more.

The USCIS c-file certificate numbers are also beneficial for legal purposes, like when you must prove your status as a naturalized citizen or show that you have been continuously living in the United States since your application date. USCIS and other government agencies use this number to verify that you are indeed a citizen of the United States.

You can also refer to a certificate of naturalization number as N-550 or N-570. The significance here is that if someone stole your identity, they wouldn't have access to this specific piece of information because it's unique only to those who have been granted citizenship through naturalization procedures!

Who Has a C-File Number?

Anyone who has gone through naturalization will have a C-file number. This includes those born outside of the United States but now hold American citizenship through naturalization. It also includes people considered lawful permanent residents of the United States and specific individuals with Temporary Protected Status (TPS).

C-File Numbers are assigned by USCIS, or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security. The USCIS can use them to track your immigration records to help ensure that no undocumented immigrants receive citizenship.

C-File numbers are also helpful in tracking employment history and work eligibility for naturalized citizens. If you have worked in the U.S., even once during your life, you also have a C-File number.

Your naturalization number on the certificate is necessary when applying for Social Security benefits. It is used by employers when paying into social security in the U.S. They are also used to track application status and help ensure that the government receives the correct documents from applicants.

Where to Find Your Certificate of Naturalization Number

You can find your certificate of naturalization number in the front top right corner of your Certificate of Naturalization. This official document proves you are a U.S. citizen and will also include information about your date of birth, place of birth, and other identifying information.

Several situations may demand you to request the USCIS for a copy of your naturalization certificate. These include:

  • You have lost your certificate of naturalization and need to replace it.
  • Your certificate of naturalization is damaged, and you need to replace it.
  • You are getting married and need to change your name on your naturalization certificate.
  • There is an error on the naturalization certificate, and you must file a correction.
  • If you are making a gender change and you want it to show on the certificate
  • There is a typo on your naturalization certificate, and you must file an amendment.
  • You have lost your green card and need a replacement.

If you have lost your certificate of naturalization, there are ways to get a replacement. You can contact the USCIS directly and request a replacement document. However, this will cost you money and take time. The best thing to do is keep track of where your original certificate is at all times!

If possible, ensure that someone else has access to it as well —this will help ensure the document stays safe. You must apply for one if you have misplaced your certificate and need a replacement.

You can do this by filling out Form N-565 and submitting it with all the required documentation to USCIS. You must prove that the certificate is lost, stolen, or destroyed. You will also need to verify your identity and the validity of your claim. If you have lost your certificate, it is best to apply for a replacement as soon as possible.

You must also keep track of any documents related to the application. It may seem like a hassle now, but if you lose your paperwork later on down the road, it will only make things more difficult.

How to Replace Your Certificate of Naturalization

The naturalization process can take up to a year and requires you to file an application with the USCIS and prove that you have met all the requirements. You also must pay a fee, pass an English test, and show that you have legally been living in the United States for at least five years before applying. The USCIS will issue a naturalization certificate, proving that you are now a citizen. But what if you lose this document?

You can apply for a replacement certificate of naturalization by filing Form N-565. This form is available on the USCIS website, and you must submit it along with evidence that proves your identity, such as a passport or driver's license. You also need proof that you are a citizen and that your certificate of naturalization is lost.

You may need to provide additional evidence or information if you don't have any of these documents. In addition, the USCIS will charge a replacement fee of $600 when you submit your application. The USCIS will process your application and send it to the National Records Center for processing, which takes about four to eight weeks. Once your application is processed, the USCIS will issue you a replacement certificate of naturalization and send it to the address on file for your Social Security Administration number.

If you are still a permanent resident but lose all the necessary documentation, you must submit a form N-400 to apply for U.S. citizenship. Once you become a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a replacement certificate of naturalization by submitting form N-565 to USCIS. You can also apply for a replacement certificate of naturalization if it was destroyed or damaged. You will need to submit an application and pay the required fees.

If you find yourself in a situation where this is not possible, however, or if you want to confirm that your certificate of naturalization is not expired or revoked, there are a few steps you can take. The first step is to check the status of your certificate.

You can do this by filling out and submitting Form N-565, Application for a Replacement Citizenship Document. This form will ask you to provide information such as your full name at the time of naturalization, date of birth, country of birth, and last residence outside the United States before becoming a citizen. It also asks whether or not you have made any previous applications for a replacement of your citizenship document.

If you are applying for a replacement certificate of naturalization, you will need to attach a copy of your previous certificate. If the application is because it has been lost or damaged, the applicant must provide a certified statement explaining how it happened.

The statement should include information about how long the loss occurred and what efforts you have made to recover the document. The application also asks how long the applicant has lived in the United States. This information should be on your previous document if you are applying for a replacement naturalization certificate. If not, you will need to provide proof of residence by attaching a copy of your most recent tax return or another government document that lists your address.

Certificate of Naturalization Is Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Beyond Repair

If you lose or misplace a certificate of naturalization, you can request one from USCIS or apply for a replacement certificate by submitting Form N-565 (Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document).

USCIS will not issue replacements based on simple negligence or forgetfulness; they must receive evidence that the original certificate was lost, stolen, or damaged beyond repair.

For example: if your original document was lost because you forgot where you put it but eventually found it under some papers in an old file cabinet drawer at home, the USCIS would issue no replacement. This is because there is no proof that something terrible happened.

However, if someone stole your original document from its place at work so someone else could use it as their I.D. card without anyone knowing about it, then USCIS might be able to issue a replacement. The same rules apply if your documents were damaged accidentally. You need to provide the damaged copy as proof.

It is important to note that if the original document was stolen or lost by someone else, then USCIS might not issue a replacement unless you can prove that the theft was not your fault (e.g. The thief stole it from you without you knowing about it).

If you lost your original document, the best thing is to apply for a replacement as soon as possible. The longer it takes to replace your documents after losing them, the harder it will be for USCIS officers to believe that this was not your fault and that someone else did not steal them from you.

Needing to Change the Document Due to a USCIS Error

Errors can occur during the application process, and it's not uncommon for USCIS officers to make mistakes. This can happen anytime during your application process, from the initial filing to when you get your green card.

Suppose you get citizenship, but your certificate of naturalization contains an error that needs to be corrected by the USCIS. In that case, you may need to request a replacement.

In most cases, the document contains incorrect information regarding your name or date of birth. This can be especially problematic if you are applying for a driver's license or admission into college or university —the incorrect information on your certificate of naturalization can cause problems with these applications.

Suppose you have an incorrect birth date or name on your naturalization certificate. You must file a new application and re-submit your birth certificate and other relevant documents. This process can be costly and time-consuming, but necessary for your application must finalize correctly.

When you re-apply with the USCIS, they will issue a replacement document that reflects the correct information. The USCIS will issue a replacement certificate of naturalization if there is an error in the original document. If you need to replace your certificate, you should contact the office where you applied for citizenship and request a new one.


Citizenship is a privilege that many people strive for throughout their lives. It provides you with rights and freedoms that are not available to those not citizens of the United States. If you have recently received citizenship, you must understand what this means and how to care for your certificate correctly.

The first thing that you should do is find a place to store your certificate. It would help if you did not leave it lying around, as this could cause damage to the document. If you have kids, it is best to keep it safe where they cannot get their hands on it. If you have a safe in your home, then it is a good idea to keep your certificate there. It would help if you also considered framing the document to protect it from damage.

While losing your certificate of citizenship is not a crime, replacing it can be long, stressful, and costly. If you are in the process of replacing your certificate, then it is a good idea to talk to an immigration lawyer. They can help you navigate the bureaucracy of getting a new one and ensure that you do everything correctly.

Visit Upcounsel today and get connected to a top immigration attorney from a law firm in your area. Upcounsel is a marketplace of pre-screened, vetted attorneys who can help you with your legal needs. With Upcounsel, you can be confident that you are hiring the right attorney for your needs.