- A prohibition on user spam.
- A provision that states that the content on your site is your intellectual property and is legally protected.
- Rules that allow you to terminate a user's account if they continually engage in behavior that could be considered abusive.
- Conditions of Use
- Terms of Service
- User Agreement
- Provisions for how users can register with your site and what rules they must follow when registering.
- A clause describing what behaviors will be cause for suspending or terminating a user's account.
- A statement that you own all content on your site except for user-generated content.
- A statement that you will notify users if you decide to make any changes to the agreement.
Basic Components to Include
- A statement that if users do not agree to the TOU, they are not allowed to register with your site.
- Whether your TOU is a clickwrap or a browserwrap agreement.
- A disclaimer that you cannot verify the completeness or accuracy of the information on your site. This disclaimer acts as a warranty.
- A disclosure that you retain the right to disable accounts on your sight that you consider to be abusive.
Although you can use the TOU of other sites as inspiration, you should never copy them directly, as this would be considered copyright infringement. If you directly copy another site's TOU, you may have a difficult time enforcing your agreement in court.