Ohio Secretary of State LLC refers to when the Ohio Secretary of State works with LLCs when a change needs to be made. In order to make any amendments, a Domestic Limited Liability Company Certificate of Amendment must be brought in person or mailed to the Secretary of State's office. If the initial articles wish to be re-stated, a different box can be checked on one of the forms. The name of the LLC can be changed as well as the period of existence.

How to File an Amendment

If additional information needs to be changed in the Articles of Organization, a Certificate of Amendment needs to be filed within 30 days. This is true if the information is found to be inaccurate or false. Updating the statutory agent does not require members to file an amendment. The Statutory Agent Update form is used in this case. There is a $50 filing fee to amend the LLC in Ohio. For expedited service, the filing fee is $100.

In order to send filings in by fax, a prepayment account must be created through the Ohio Secretary of State. A confirmation copy will be sent through the mail. This can also be printed from the website.

In order to expedite the filing of your amendment, send $100 and the form to the following address:

Ohio Secretary of State
PO Box 1390
Columbus, OH 43216

For non-expedited filings, send the form to:

Ohio Secretary of State
PO Box 1329
Columbus, OH 43216

Ohio LLC managers or members can be changed by checking the box on the form that states, "Check if additional provisions are attached." The changes should then be sent in on a one-sided sheet of paper that's 8.5 inches by 11 inches. Note that the Secretary of State's office will not accept paper filings in any other format. The Ohio statutory agent is not able to be changed on the Restatement form of the Domestic Limited Liability Company Certificate. The statutory agent information can be amended on the Statutory Agent Update form, which costs just $25 to file.

Business Central Forms

All forms must be filed online at www.OHBusinessCentral.com. If filed on paper, only single-sided papers are accepted since everything is scanned into the database after it has been processed. Money orders and checks should be made payable to "Ohio Secretary of State." Any filings besides UCC filings and certifications have the option to be expedited. Filings that are expedited have an extra fee which is listed on the instruction page.

Steps in Starting a Business

When starting a business, there are several steps to follow, which include:

  • Register with the Ohio Secretary of State (all forms and registration information can be found online).
  • Obtain an Employer Identification Number, or EIN, from the IRS (information about this can be found on their website).
  • Open a corporate bank account with the business' EIN.
  • Register with the Ohio Department of Taxation (you can find more information about your local and state tax obligations on their website).

Employers may need to create an Unemployment Compensation Tax Account through the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. It's smart to talk to the local and county government to see if any certain requirements are needed for the business.

Special Considerations For Nonprofit Organizations

Nonprofit organizations should apply to get tax exemption. They can talk to Ohio's Department of Taxation to see how certain exemptions can be applied. If the company intends to participate in solicitation activities, the Ohio Attorney General should be contacted. The business should register with their office before starting solicitation activities. A nonprofit mailing permit can be applied for from the United States Postal Service.

Ohio Secretary of State Frequently Asked Questions

Money orders or checks can be mailed in and made out to "Ohio Secretary of State." Cash is accepted only in person. When figuring out how to form a business entity, it's best to talk to an attorney. The Secretary of State's office can't tell the company which business entity to choose. Any business that wants to conduct business in the state of Ohio must register with the Ohio Secretary of State.

If you need help with an Ohio Secretary of State LLC, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.