Attorney at Law
Outside of work, Patrick is a beer aficionado, and is in the process of renovating a Victorian home in Pittsburgh. He is also in the U.S. Army Reserve.
Jan 2015 - Present
- Returned to the firm in January 2015 as a Senior Attorney.
- Business acquisitions: negotiate and draft legal documents related to mergers and acquisitions, including stock purchase agreements and asset purchase agreements; advise clients on legal and business aspects of transactions. Representative experience includes representing seller of a sophisticated energy consulting business in a $16MM sale.
- General business counseling: represent businesses as outside GC; advise clients on business entity formation; draft entity organizational documents; review and draft employment, severance, non-competition and confidentiality agreements; file and renew trademark registrations; negotiate and draft distribution agreements.
- Real estate: represent buyers and sellers in real estate purchases; experience resolving complex title issues; approved attorney with Penn Attorneys Title Insurance. Recent representative experience includes (i) representing a buyer in the acquisition of a short line railroad; and (ii) representing a commercial developer in a series of redevelopment projects in the Lawrenceville neighborhood.
- Commercial loans and secured transactions: negotiate and draft legal documents related to loans and security agreements; represent borrowers in SBA transactions; negotiate construction escrow agreements.
- Franchisees and franchisors: represent franchisees across a variety of industries, including food service, exercise boutiques and gyms.
- Hospitality: represent clients in the restaurant/tavern, food service and hospitality industries.
Nov 2009 - Present
- Trial Counsel for the 300th Military Police Brigade in Inkster, MI (December 2013 - present).
- Formerly attached to the 153rd Legal Operations Detachment in Coraopolis, PA (June 2010 - December 2013).
ServiceLink, a Black Knight company
Apr 2014 - Jan 2015
- In-house counsel; provided legal support to various lines of business.
- Advised business on legal risk; negotiated and drafted a variety of agreements.
- Negotiated master service agreements and statements of work with major counterparties, including Fortune 500 financial service firms.
May 2012 - May 2014
MacDonald Illig Jones & Britton LLP
Jan 2008 - Apr 2012
- Practice focused on commercial transactions, licensing and regulatory compliance in the firm’s Business Transactions practice group.
- High premium on providing preemptive legal support with an eye towards business objectives; advise clients on structuring transactions and corporate formation.
- Negotiate and draft a variety of contracts, including purchase options, procurement terms and conditions, and stock/asset purchases.
- Handle loan work-out and forbearance negotiations and agreements for financial institutions.
- Represent clients in real estate transactions; experience resolving title issues, tax assessment appeals, and mortgage foreclosures.
- Significant commercial litigation experience in corporate bankruptcy matters.
- Representative clients include large manufacturers, patent portfolio owners, oil and gas lessors, commercial developers and franchisees.
The Northern Trust
Jun 2006 - Dec 2007
- Handle responses to NASD Dispute Resolution subpoenas.
- Negotiate with counter-parties and draft International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) agreements.
- Coordinate and strategize corporate intellectual property efforts, including management of trademark portfolio and identification of trademark candidates, as well as development and implementation of business method patent process.
- Perform trademark clearance searches and file trademark applications.
- Prepare loan documentation and participation agreements.
- Research and interpret federal and state regulatory requirements and draft memoranda for attorney reference.
- Recipient of Northern Trust 2007 Signature Service Award.
GE Transportation Systems
Sep 2003 - Jan 2005
- Led team of contractors developing engineering automation tools and interfaces to the supply chain.
- Completed design automation tool to generate AutoCad drawings for crossings, resulting in $400k annual savings.
- Consolidated and standardized company-wide product data management platform.
- Led part reduction and obsolescence project, contributing to a 21% increase in on-time delivery.
- Implemented inventory management system at Boston facilities, resulting in $100K lost material reduction.
- Earned Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management Institute.
Information Management Leadership Program
Sep 2001 - Sep 2003
- Held various positions during two-year rotational leadership development program in Grain Valley, MO; Ware/Hertfordshire, England; Erie, PA.
- Performed Oracle 11i feasibility study and developed implementation plan. Integrated UK systems infrastructure and purchasing processes with GE policies and processes.
- Developed and drove disaster recovery plan and strategy.