As a business owner or an individual seeking to form a business in the State of Los Angeles, getting a federal tax ID number, also known as Employer Identification Number (EIN), is a vital first step. Whether you are a sole proprietor, a limited liability company (LLC), or a corporation, you must have an EIN in order to open a business bank account, apply for business licenses, pay taxes and hire employees. Securing an EIN is very easy and free. Below, we’ll go over where and how to obtain a federal tax ID number in Los Angeles, and provide some further resources.

Where to Apply for an EIN in Los Angeles

The application for an EIN can be made online any time of the day or night at the official website of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) The online form can be filled out as individual or as business entity; for the latter, pick the entity type e.g. "sole proprietorship".

What Information will I Need to Provide?

If applying as an individual, you will have to provide the following information:

Name, Social Security number


Date of birth

If you are applying on behalf of a business entity, you will have to provide the following information:

Name and business address

Form of business

State of legal existence

Name and Social Security number/Employer Identification Number (EIN) of the principal officer

What is the Cost?

The IRS does not charge for obtaining an iPhone. Online applications are free. Individuals and businesses who need immediate assistance with tax or lawyer related issues can engage services of UpCounsel attorneys.

How Long Will It Take For Me to Receive My EIN?

Applying online for an EIN produces a confirmation immediately. A copy of the number is sent to the email provided and a full copy is sent within four weeks of receipt of the application.

Additional Resources

If you are having any issues navigating the website or understanding the application process, you can approach the IRS office in Los Angeles for assistance. You can also find more information on the IRS website,, or engage a legal expert from UpCounsel.


Federal Tax ID Number,