What Questions Should I Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Important questions to ask a personal injury lawyer3 min read
2. Do you think I have a good chance in this case? If yes, then why?
3. Can you tell me the weaknesses in my case?
4. Do you have any history of handling cases like mine?
5. How many cases are you handling at one time?
6. Why Should I Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
7. When to Hire a Lawyer After a Personal Injury Accident
You sustained an injury, and things came to a screeching halt in your life. You are unable to work or do the everyday things you did quickly before. For such scenarios, you need immediate and professional help and must contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP. But how to go about it? Sure, you need assistance, but you don't know where to begin or what to even talk about with them. Counsel ads are everywhere online, on buses, and even on television, but you must know how to discuss things with them. We bring some crucial questions you must ask your injury attorney to help you with your case.
What will be the cost of hiring an attorney?
Finances are always serious concerns, so you must always keep things clear between you and your solicitor. Many personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis. This implies they will not charge a fee unless your advocate wins the case. Moreover, this fee will also be a percentage of the compensation award you receive. Discuss and find out what this percentage is and if there will be extra costs. Some lawyers keep the discussion of the hidden cost for the time of payment, so be careful.
Do you think I have a good chance in this case? If yes, then why?
There is no need for detailed legalities. However, inquiring about some solid and lawful reasons why the law expert believes you can win this compensation.
Can you tell me the weaknesses in my case?
It is best to prepare yourself for all possibilities so that you don't get any surprises. Better to understand this sooner. It does not matter how strong your case is; nothing is ever set in stone. And usually, some area of concern needs addressing, and it could affect your case negatively.
Do you have any history of handling cases like mine?
You never want to get stuck with an advocate who has no idea what they are doing, and your case is their first of this nature. Inquire if they or their firm has enough experience and are confident in navigating all the curves of your case. Also, ask about their success rate in handling cases like yours.
How will I stay updated on my case's progress?
Naturally, you cannot leave things solely on your counselor or the law firm. You must talk to them about keeping you in the loop about every step. You do need information about your case's progress.
How many cases are you handling at one time?
If a lawyer already has enough on the plate, it could take months for them to file your lawsuit. Be mindful that different jurisdictions hold different statutes of limitations after any personal injury incident. If your time draws near, then only contemplate attorneys who can take quick action for you.
Why Should I Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
When you decide to pursue a lawsuit for a personal injury case and file a case in court, you might naturally have a lot of questions going around in your head. There are steps you need to follow while following a lawsuit for personal injury. Having a lawyer by your side assures you that you will not be alone in these trying times and that your work will get done in the legally right way.
- A complaint should be filed. A complaint is a written statement that details what occurred, the alleged losses, and the legal foundation for the case.
- The Defendant should be served with the Complaint.
- The defendant will now file an answer to your complaint.
- Exchange of information. The procedure through which the participants share data is known as discovery. The goal of discovery is to allow each side to see all of the information so that they may plan their side of the case.
- Reaching the final verdict. Following the completion of discovery, each side will have all of the evidence necessary to make its case in court. Following closing arguments, the jury (or judge, in the case of a bench trial) will investigate and reach a decision in support of the plaintiff or defendant.
When to Hire a Lawyer After a Personal Injury Accident
One question that might be nagging you is that when you should be hiring a lawyer after a personal injury accident. It is often suggested that you contact a lawyer immediately after the accident or as soon as you can. This will help you gather more evidence to strengthen your case.