1. What Duties Does a Registered Agent Perform? 
2. Types of Businesses That Are Required to Have Indiana Registered Agents 
3. How to Change Your Registered Agent in Indiana 
4. How to Start an LLC in Indiana 

Registered agent services Indiana are available for those who need someone to accept legal paperwork for their company on their behalf. All Indiana businesses must designate a registered agent for the company. Owners are allowed to fill this position themselves. To qualify to be a registered agent in Indiana you must:

  • Have a physical location (not a P.O. box) in Indiana where you can receive process paperwork for legal action if necessary.
  • Be available during regular nine-to-five business hours.
  • Be authorized to do business in Indiana.

Having a registered agent in Indiana is essential, as you will need someone who can sign for all your legal documents as well as any certified mail your company receives. Signatures for these items are required to prove you have been legally notified of any action. 

Your registered agent will not only be responsible for receiving and maintaining your legal documents but also for forwarding them to you. Your registered agent will also be the one who will receive notification if you are required to file an annual report. Given the amount of responsibility a registered agent has, you should choose one you can trust. Otherwise, you might face serious problems such as missed filing deadlines and failure to appear for court cases.

What Duties Does a Registered Agent Perform? 

The point of assigning a registered agent for your business is to have a reliable method of contacting your Indiana business entity for any legal or official communication. While it's easy to fulfill the duties of a registered agent, it is important to have someone available during business hours to inform you about any legal action against the business. This person might also be responsible for filing and safekeeping your legal documents. 

Types of Businesses That Are Required to Have Indiana Registered Agents 

Indiana requires some business types to use a registered agent's services. Some of these business types include:

  • Domestic companies
  • Foreign companies
  • Close corporations
  • Professional corporations
  • Nonprofit corporations
  • Domestic limited liability companies (LLCs)
  • Foreign limited liability companies
  • Limited partnerships
  • Limited liability partnerships

Sole proprietorships and general partnerships are the only business types that do not require a registered agent.

How to Change Your Registered Agent in Indiana 

There are multiple reasons you might want to change your registered agent. The process of changing your agent is relatively simple by filing the proper paperwork. You will need to fill out a Notice of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent and send it by mail or deliver it in person. The filing will take about a week, but there is no fee for the service. You will need to assign a new agent before filling out your change form. The form must include:

  • Your business name.
  • The name and physical address of your current agent.
  • The name and address of the new registered agent.
  • The signature of the person filing.

How to Start an LLC in Indiana 

Starting an LLC in Indiana is a relatively easy process, making it a popular business entity option in the state. To form your LLC, you will need to:

  • Choose a name. Your name must be distinguishable from any other business names. It must include LLC or limited liability company at the end of it.
  • File your Articles of Organization. You will need to complete an Articles of Organization and send it in with your $90 filing fee. You can file online, by mail, personal delivery, and express mail, depending on how quickly you wish it to be processed. Filing online is the fastest method, with your articles being processed within minutes.
  • Complete Your Business Entity Report. Once your business is formed, you will need to file regular Business Entity Reports. These are due every two years on the anniversary month of your filing for for-profits and every year for nonprofits. You can do this online.
  • Assign your Registered Agent. You will need to assign your registered agent so he or she can begin to receive your business's legal documentation as well as annual filing notices. You can perform a registered agent's duties yourself, assign another person, or hire a commercial registered agent service. 

If you need help with registered agent services Indiana, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.