Patent Search Services: Everything You Need to Know
Patent search services will help you determine if there is an existing patent on your invention.3 min read
2. Patent Search Services: Patent Search International
3. Patent Search Services: FreePatentsOnline IP Search
Patent Search Services
Patent search services will help you determine if there is an existing patent on your invention. Since patents were first instituted in the United States, many inventions have been made generation after generation. Given that many address similar problems, sometimes many of these inventions overlap and result in similar or conflicting patents. The following is what you need to know when conducting a patent search:
- When applying for a patent, it is important to search for what other patents already exist and how they may conflict with your application.
- By doing so, you can maximize the chance of a successful patent application.
- Remember that many applications get denied by the U.S. Patent Office.
- The application itself is extremely important to get right the first time around.
By doing a thorough search for other patents already existing, you can ensure that your patent application is best made to succeed with the USPTO. While you can hire others to help you with the search, doing your own search will save you a lot of money.
By thoroughly researching how the patent system is indexed as well as understanding how your proposed application fits into that categorization, you will be able to do your own patent search effectively.
Even beyond searching for conflicting patents, it is worth studying other patents to understand how the pictures can be made. If you find a patent that is too similar to your own application, it may be worthwhile to move to a different project or to see if there's a way to reorient your project to be patentable.
It is important to craft your strategies for doing a patent search, and see what tools you can use to assist you.
- The first step should be to go to the USPTO's patent search page.
- The USPTO's patent search system is relatively simple and free.
- By studying the USPTO's patent search help guide, you will be able to understand how to effectively navigate the system and find what you're looking for.
- Remember that patents will vary in how similar they are to your invention. Some will be only slightly related; some will be closely related, and others may be exactly the same.
- If you don't trust your own ability to use the patent search, or don't have the time, there are companies that will assist or do the search for you.
- It may cost up to $3,000 to have a company do a patent search.
- Given the specialization of these companies, they may be able to find related patents that a new user may not be able to.
Remember that using a patent search at the beginning is an investment, as it may save you a lot of money later on in patent application fees. There are many professional patent search companies out there, and it is important to find a good one. They include companies such as National Patent Services and many others.
Patent Search Services: Patent Search International
One company, Patent Search International, will do your patent search for only $250. They look through domestic patents as well as foreign ones, as well as give your proposed patent an evaluation by an intellectual property lawyer. Such packages are very cost effective for those who want basic patent search and advising services.
Patent Search Services: FreePatentsOnline IP Search
FreePatentsOnline also offers a strong search option. The site will look at keywords and compare them to those assigned to previous drawings.
As a free search, it will give the option to do your own examination of possible conflicting patents. As a free option, it is low cost as well. The website makes it very easy to look at past drawings.
The site also provides free PDF document packages of the applications and images, making for easy viewing and studying. The USPTO patent search function lacks some of the functionality of Free Patents Online, particularly in regard to images. Compared to the USPTO site, Free Patents Online is quite a bit faster, too.
You can also use Free Patents Online as a supplement to your search on the USPTO patent search website. After searching for the relevant patents, you may then access them at Free Patents Online to download them easily.
If you need help with doing a patent search, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel’s marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5-percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law, and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with, or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.