Mississippi Limited Liability Company Act
The Mississippi Limited Liability Company Act requires Certificate of Formation along with a filing fee submitted to the Secretary of State to form a business.2 min read
2. Registering a Foreign Limited Liability Company
3. Filing Fees
4. General Articles Code Title 79
The Mississippi Limited Liability Company Act requires a Certificate of Formation along with a filing fee submitted to the Mississippi Secretary of State to form a business.
The Process of Forming a Limited Liability Company
Several steps are necessary when filing the Certificate of Formation.
- The name of the limited liability company (LLC).
- The business name you are submitting must have "Limited Liability Company," "L.L.C.," or "LLC."
- The future effective dated, if applicable. The date cannot exceed 90 days from the date when the Certificate of Formation is filed. The effective date is the date the certificate is filed unless otherwise noted with a future date.
- The nine-digit Federal Tax ID number, which is used to report taxes to the Internal Revenue Service.
- The name and address of the registered agent for the LLC.
- A dissolution date.
- An indication of manager management.
- Any other information pertinent to the formation of the LLC.
The Certificate of Formation must be signed by each person responsible for the formation of the limited liability company along with their full mailing and street address. It takes approximately 10 business days to process a formation filing request. Online filings are instantaneous. Expedited service is not available.
Registering a Foreign Limited Liability Company
To register a foreign LLC, an Application for Registration of Foreign Limited Liability Company must be filed either by mail or in person with the Secretary of State. Along with the Foreign LLC form, a Certificate of Good Standing must be submitted. The good standing certificate must have a date that is within six months of the date when you are registering the company. The filing fee is $250.
The physical address for the Secretary of State is 700 North Street, Jackson, MS 39202. The mailing address is P.O. Box 136, Jackson, MS 39205. Phone: 601 359-1633 or 800 256-3494. The fax number is 601-359-1499.
Additional fees include:
- Certificate of Amendment: $50.
- Certificate of Merger: $25.
- LLC Registered Agent/Office Statement of Change: $25.
- LLC Certificate of Dissolution: $50.
- LLC Reinstatement: $50.
General Articles Code Title 79
Article 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
Article 2 - FORMATION, CERTIFICATE OF FORMATION
Article 3 - MEMBERS
Article 4 - MANAGEMENT
Article 5 - FINANCE
Article 6 - DISTRIBUTIONS
Article 7 - ASSIGNMENT OF FINANCIAL INTERESTS
Article 8 - DISSOLUTION
Article 9 - PROFESSIONAL LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANIES
Article 10 - FOREIGN LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANIES
Article 11 - DERIVATIVE ACTIONS
Article 12 - MISCELLANEOUS
Article 13 - TRANSITION PROVISIONS
If you need help with the Mississippi Limited Liability Company Act, you can post your legal need on UpCounsel's marketplace. UpCounsel accepts only the top 5 percent of lawyers to its site. Lawyers on UpCounsel come from law schools such as Harvard Law and Yale Law and average 14 years of legal experience, including work with or on behalf of companies like Google, Menlo Ventures, and Airbnb.